These 108,056 images need to be put on the map. Can you help pin their Where?

Swiss field Howitzer (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Swiss field Howitzer [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25802 Call Number: LC-B2- 4426-9
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3485
Tags: libraryofcongress xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain25802
1915

Christmas message from the workers
Description: Christmas message from the workers of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields as they prepare to launch the cargo ship ‘Empire Curzon’, 24 December 1943 (TWAM ref. 1061/1053). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 27970
Tags: christmas wood xmas abstract industry hat bar handwriting boot chalk
1943

bcp_05155r
Description: Group in boat. The ladies were teachers at Auburn School and were on annual holidays - Terrigal, NSW Call Number: At Work and Play - 05155 Format: photograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 11919
Tags: holidays lakes boating rowing teachers terrigal
1926

Launch party of the cargo ship 'Empire Hazlitt'
Description: Members of the launch party of the cargo ship ‘Empire Hazlitt’, at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 14 May 1942 (TWAM ref. 1061/1043). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 18195
Tags: roof shadow chimney sky people building men brick window glass
1942

Preparing the cargo ship 'Crofter' for launch
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Crofter’ being prepared for launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 16 August 1951 (TWAM ref. 1061/1086). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 22989
Tags: sky abstract blur building industry window glass wall stairs interesting
1951

Maj. H.L. Higginson (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Maj. H.L. Higginson [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25662 Call Number: LC-B2- 4394-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 4663
Tags: libraryofcongress xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain25662
1915

Aerial view of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons
Description: Aerial photograph of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 10 May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1061/1164). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 17137
Tags: road houses roof chimney abstract reflection heritage industry window water
1963

hood_13299r
Description: Departure of Strathnaver (John Longden, Cinesound) Call Number: Home and Away - 13299 Format: film photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 7728
Tags: statelibraryofnsw passengerships
1936

David Jones' models (?) Arrival of
Description: Call Number: Home and Away - 14066 Format: film photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 10914
Tags: statelibraryofnsw passengerships
1937

Refurbishing tug boats at Bill Quay
Description: A view of former US Army tugs being refurbished at the ship-repair yard of RB Harrison and Son at Bill Quay, 3 August 1950 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/5192B). The tug boats had been acquired by France Fenwick and were being refurbished before being sent to the River Wear as Ryhope, Cornhill and Grangetown. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]. To purchase a hi-res copy please email [email protected] quoting the title and reference number.
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 16199
Tags: door roof chimney sky abstract building industry window glass grass
1950

hood_06330r
Description: Crowds on the wharf farewell passengers on the P&O Moldavia with streamers, Pyrmont The sight of an overseas liner festooned with coloured streamers leaving Pyrmont for distant ports has long gone. These friends and relatives are farewelling passengers on the P&O RMS Moldavia, bound for Britain. The RMS Moldavia was not one of the company's better ships. Built in 1922, it was upgraded with a false second funnel in early 1928 to give it the appearance of a liner, but it still steamed at a miserly 16 knots. This no doubt gave the 850 passengers plenty of time to enjoy the vessel's library of 400 books. Call Number: Home and Away - 6330 Format: glass photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 9602
Tags: pyrmont departures moldavia statelibraryofnsw passengerships samhood pormsmoldavia
1928

Presentation at the launch of 'Armanistan'
Description: A shipyard worker presenting flowers to the sponsor of the cargo ship ‘Armanistan’ at her launch from the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 30 November 1948 (TWAM ref. 1061/1079). The task was sometimes given to the oldest or youngest worker at the yard. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 18713
Tags: flowers roof shadow sky abstract flower men industry window smile
1948

Stern view of the cargo ship 'Armanistan'
Description: Starboard stern view of the cargo ship ‘Armanistan’ at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, November 1948 (TWAM ref. 1061/1079). She was launched on 30 November 1948. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 16037
Tags: door roof sky cloud abstract building london industry window glass
1948

George Webster, cartman, arrested for embezzlement
Description: Name: George Webster Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 25 September 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-77-George Webster The Shields Daily News for 25 September 1905 reports: EMBEZZLEMENT AT NORTH SHIELDS. A CARTMAN SENT TO PRISON. “At North Shields Police Court today George Webster (35), fireman, 186 Stephenson Street, was charged on a warrant with embezzling sums of 7s 4d, 4s8d and 1s 4d, the moneys of his employer, Mr W.A. Wilkinson, mineral water manufacturer. Mr S.R. Holliday appeared for the prosecution. Mr Holliday said the accused was charged with having embezzled three sums of money from Mr Wilkinson, with whom he had been employed five weeks. He was a cartman and it was his duty daily to take out rolley loads of bottled stuff &c., some of which had been ordered, the remainder being for sale. He had to collect moneys and render an account to Mr Wilkinson upon his return from each journey On Easter Monday, the 24th April, he was sent out with a load of 80 doz. Smila and pop, three boxes of cigarettes and other articles. He returned on the afternoon, at least his horse was stabled in the afternoon, and as the accused did not put in an appearance Mr Wilkinson sent round to his house in order to ascertain the reason. His wife informed the messenger that that her husband had disappeared and that she did not know where he was. She handed over his receipt book, which contained entries shewing that the accused had received payment of certain accounts and had not handed them over to his employer. The prisoner had absconded and was away four and a half months. He returned to his own home where he was arrested on the 17th inst. Formal evidence was given as to the payment of certain accounts to the accused, who had handed the money over. Det. Scougal said he apprehended the accused, who was hiding under the stairs of his house. Prisoner pleaded guilty and expressed his sorrow, offering to refund the money if he was given a chance. Mr Wilkinson did not press the charge but the Bench could not overlook the case and committed prisoner for 14 days with hard labour.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 22947
Tags: hat moustache criminal crime mugshot cartman policestation prisoner smila northshields
1905

a9574023h
Description: Commonwealth Procession, George Street, Sydney. From Rose's Stereoscope Views [of the Commonwealth and Duke of York celebrations, Sydney 1901] Call Number: PXA 518 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 6093
Tags: sydney stereograph 1901 commonwealthcelebrations federationofaustralia
1901

a9574024h
Description: Duke of York Celebrations, Sydney. Maypole dancing at the Children's Fete. From Rose's Stereoscope Views [of the Commonwealth and Duke of York celebrations, Sydney 1901] Call Number: PXA 518 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 8828
Tags: sydney stereograph 1901 dukeofyorkcelebrations federationofaustralia
1901

View of the Warrumbungle Ranges, Coonabarabran (NSW)
Description: Title: View of the Warrumbungle Ranges, Coonabarabran (NSW) Dated: No date Digital ID: 12932_a012_a012X2441000021 Series: NRS 12932 Original Prints of Photographs used in NSW trains Rights: No known copyright restrictions www.records.nsw.gov.au/about-us/rights-and-permissions We'd love to hear from you if you use our photos/documents. Many other photos in our collection are available to view and browse on our website using Photo Investigator.
Owner: MHNSW - State Archives Collection
Views: 6456
Tags: blackandwhite view hills archives newsouthwales bushwalk staterecordsnsw coonabarabrannsw
2004

a1887028h
Description: H.3. A large erratic resting on gneiss Cape Denison area Call Number: ON 144 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 7249
Tags: stereograph antarcticexpedition ereographs
1911

a1887038h
Description: H.29. Snow petrels mated at nest. Cape Denison Call Number: ON 144 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 8506
Tags: stereograph antarcticexpedition taxonomy:binomial=pagodromanivea taxonomy:common=snowpetrel
1911

Sarah Dowd, arrested for stealing money
Description: Name: Sarah Dowd Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Arrested on: 9 February 1916 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-266-Sarah Dowd For an image of her accomplice Christina Haggerty see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/23045026302/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 9 February 1916 reports: “ALLEGED THEFT IN BOROUGH ROAD. Today at North Shields … Sarah Dowd (32), 8½ Norfolk Street, and Christina Haggerty (36), Brannen’s Lodging House, South Shields, were charged with stealing on the 8th inst. a purse containing £5 in Treasury notes and 4s 6d in money, from a foreign seaman. Sergt. Spindler said that at 9.30pm he was on duty in the Borough Road, and the prosecutor had hold of the two women, whom he accused of robbing him of his purse, with £5 in Treasury notes, 4s 6d in money and some coins. While the prosecutor held the women, witness looked round on the ground with the help of his flash-lamp, and found the purse open, 4s 6d in silver and some coins but not the Treasury notes. Accused were remanded for eight days.” The Shields Daily News for 11 February 1916 reports: “ALLEGED THEFT FROM THE PERSON. Sarah Dowd (32) of 8½ Norfolk Street, and Christina Haggerty of Brannen’s Lodging House, South Shields, were brought up on remand at North Shields roday, charged with having stolen from the person of Dionesios Macres, a purse, valued a 6d, containing five £1 Treasury notes, 4s 6d in silver and nine coins, while in Borough Road, about 9.25pm on the 8th inst. The Chief Constable (Mr J.H. Huish) said the prosecutor had gone to sea and the charge was withdrawn.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 33884
Tags: portrait woman sad criminal crime mugshot ww1 theft policestation firstworldwar
1916

Percy R. Stephens (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Percy R. Stephens [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25452 Call Number: LC-B2- 4356-16
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 4853
Tags: libraryofcongress xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain25452
1915

James Crone, labourer, arrested for stealing clothes
Description: Name: James Crone Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 29 August 1906 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-93-James Crone For an image of his accomplice, Sarah Bankoff see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/16988672330/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 5 September 1906 reports: "Sarah Bankoff (26), a married woman, belonging to South Shields and James Crone (23), labourer, 60 Bertram Street, South Shields, were each committed to prison for one month in the second division for stealing clothes etc, from three dwelling houses between the 30th of July and 20th of August. The prisoners lived together and decamped with the goods, which they subsequently pledged." These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 14610
Tags: moustache criminal crime cap mugshot theft southshields policestation stealing prisoner
1906

a9600008h
Description: Stereographs taken during a tour of the Southern Goldfields, New South Wales and Victoria, May-June 1860 / attributed to Edward Wolstenholme Ward Call Number: PXB 598 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 8147
Tags: stereograph goldrush earlyphotography
1860

James George Chase, munitions worker, arrested for obtaining money by false pretences
Description: Name: James G. Chase Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Arrested on: 22 January 1916 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-264-James G Chase The Shields Daily News for 28 January 1916 reports: “FALSE PRETENCES CASE AT NORTH SHIELDS. At North Shields today, James George Chase (23), a munition worker, residing at Lynn Villa, Billy Mill, was brought up on remand, charged with having unlawfully obtained by false pretences, from Joseph Emery, the sum of £20, with intent to cheat and defraud, between Dec. 13th and Jan. 17th. Joseph Emery stated in May last he became acquainted with the defendant. During the latter part of that month the defendant told him something about an estate in Australia, valued at £70,000. About the 17th December, witness received a letter, which was supposed to have come from a detective at Scotland Yard, and his wife received a wire for £10 to be sent to the defendant in London, and witness sent it. On the 10th inst. the defendant returned from London and handed witness a sealed envelope. He opened it and found it contained two documents. After reading them, defendant asked is he was satisfied and he said it seemed to be alright. On the 17th inst. the defendant asked for another £10 and witness gave it to him. On the 21st inst. witness communicated with the police and on the 22nd obtained a warrant for the defendant’s arrest. Det. Radcliffe stated that on the 22nd inst. he arrested the defendant in Saville Street, and brought him to the Central Police Station. He read the warrant over and defendant replied “I can’t say anything until I have seen Mr Emery”. Afterwards he said there was no truth in the statement regarding the fortune. When charged this morning he replied “I admit everything: I know I have done wrong”. Defendant pleaded guilty and had nothing to say. Mr Emery, recalled, said he had not believed half the defendant’s statements from the first. The defendant had said that a young man had to go with him to Australia as a bodyguard to bring the money back. The defendant was committed to prison for one month in the second division.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 47782
Tags: portrait england man money face shirt mark grain deception property
1916

The cargo ship 'Min' on sea trials
Description: View of the cargo ship 'Min' on sea trials, 1922 (TWAM ref. 1061/997). She was launched at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons, South Shields on 25 May 1922. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 22890
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd cargoship smoke seatrials sea water vessel min
1922

31_a6962050h
Description: The 4th anniversary, the cause of it all holds a levee, 3 Aug 1918 Call Number: PXD 518/nos. 198-280 Format: drawing Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 7866
Tags: cartoon firstworldwar thedailytelegraph
1918

'Shahristan' on sea trials
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Shahristan’ on sea trials, 1938 (TWAM ref. 1061/1029). She was built at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 23064
Tags: roof sea chimney sky cloud abstract blur industry window water
1938

'Trojan Prince' nearing completion
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Trojan Prince’ on the berth at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 1896 (TWAM ref. 1061/974). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 21833
Tags: england sky blur industry boat wire cabin industrial ship post
1896

Launch of the cargo ship 'Baron Belhaven'
Description: View of the cargo ship Baron Belhaven entering the River Tyne after launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 2 November 1959 (TWAM ref. 1061/1121). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 18673
Tags: sky cloud abstract blur building industry water standing river vent
1959

Jane Agnes Duffy, arrested for theft
Description: Name: Jane A. V. Duffy Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 9 December 1914 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-250-Jane A V Duffy The Shields Daily News for 9 December 1914 reports: “A YOUNG WOMAN IN TROUBLE. Today at North Shields, Jane Agnes Duffy (19), 61 Westcott Road, South Shields, was charged with stealing a gold brooch, a gold ring, and a silk blouse value £1 12s 6d, the property of Barbara Cunningham, Trevor Terrace, on the 27th inst. The prosecutrix said that at 18.15 pm on the 26th ult. she was in Bedford Street, when the accused was brought to her and she asked if witness could give her board and lodgings. She stated that she had just got work at a drapers and would pay her 15s a week for board and lodgings. Witness took her home. Next morning the defendant got up at 9 o’clock, and while witness was cleaning the step the defendant ran out by the back, and witness missed the articles mentioned. Detective Sweeney of Wallsend said he arrested the accused on another charge on the 28th ult. and found the items mentioned in her possession. Detective-Sergt. Hall deposed to recovering the property from the last witness and receiving the accused into custody after she had been dealt with by the magistrates at Wallsend. The mother of the girl told the magistrates that her daughter had no reason to steal, having a good home and having been well brought up, but she was rather weak in mind and had given her some trouble. The clerk enquired why the magistrates at Wallsend had bound her over for 12 months under probation. Detective Sweeney said that the mother and the solicitor representing her promised to put her into a home. Mrs Duffy said that Father Turner had promised to look after her and put her into a home for feeble-minded at Carlisle and an arrangement was made that she would go into the Harton Workhouse in the meanwhile. The girl, however, objected to going to the workhouse and wanted to go home. The case was remanded for a day.” The Shields Daily News for 17 December 1914 reports: “SOUTH SHIELDS GIRL BOUND OVER. The remanded charge against Jane Agnes Duffy (19), Westcott Terrace, South Shields of stealing a gold brooch, a keeper ring and a blouse, valued in all at £1 12s 6d, the property of Barbara Cunningham, Trevor Terrace, North Shields, came up for hearing this morning. The case has several times been adjourned in order that a place should be found for the girl in a home. The Bench on one occasion expressed their opinion that they did not think she had been properly looked after at home. This morning, the Bench, after due consideration of the case and circumstances, decided to bind the girl over for twelve months in the mother’s surety of 40s, to be of good behaviour.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 54122
Tags: shadow portrait eye face hat scarf mouth hair nose head
1914

Drafted men (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Drafted men [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25257 Call Number: LC-B2- 4328-9
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 4511
Tags: wwi 5thavenue washingtonsquare libraryofcongress xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 draftees dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain25257
1915

John W. Hoole alias Thomas McNeish, arrested for stealing money
Description: Name: John W. Hoole alias Thomas McNeish Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 6 July 1915 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-260-John W Hoole AKA Thomas McNeish The Shields Daily News for 15 July 1915 reports: “PLATER’S THEFT FROM A WOMAN’S PURSE IN A NORTH SHIELDS FISH SHOP. John Wm. Hoole (23), plater, was charged on remand at North Shields yesterday with having stolen, on the 5th inst. the sum of 10s 6d, belonging to Mrs Jennie Young. Prosecutrix, the wife of Joseph Young, residing in Roseberry Avenue, Preston, said about 9pm on the 5th inst. she went into the fish shop at the corner of Borough Road and Gardner Street and sat down on a seat. She had her purse in her hand and it contained at that time 10s 6d in silver, including a half-crown and three two shilling pieces. Shortly afterwards the accused and two soldiers came in and sat down on the same form. Witness got up and left but as soon as she got to the door she remembered she had left her purse lying on the seat. She went back and saw the accused pick her purse up and hand it to a solider to give to her. When she received the purse she found it was open and the money was missing. The soldier sent for a policeman and the accused was taken into custody. Pte. Gilbert of the 2nd Dragoon Guards, at present attached to the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment. Said he had known accused for about a week prior to the 5th inst. On that night accused joined witness and another soldier in a public house. He said he had no money and he had to borrow 1s from a woman before he could stand the “drinks”. Afterwards he asked them to go to the fish and chip shop. The woman who lost her purse was sitting nearest to the accused. After the woman went out and came back accused picked up the purse and asked witness to give it to the woman. Witness did so and as the woman was moving away accused handed witness a 2s piece, saying “Here’s 2s for you and your mate to get a drink”. Witness asked him where he got the money and accused replied “You never know what money you’ve got”. When the woman complained that the money had been stolen from her purse witness sent for the police so that the matter might be cleared up. Det. Graham deposed to taking the accused into custody. As he went towards accused he heard a jingle of money and afterwards found two 2s pieces on the floor near where he was sitting. He recovered 5s from the accused in addition and also the 2s from the witness Gilbert. Accused pleaded not guilty. Asked to account for the 5s which was found upon him, when he told the soldiers that he had no money at all earlier in the night, accused said he had kept quiet about that money because he needed it to get to Southampton. He had, he said, been working at Palmer’s where he earned £4 per week. The Bench found the case clearly established and a previous conviction being proved against him at the Moot Hall, Newcastle, where he was sent to gaol for six months for the theft of a watch and jewellery, they committed him to prison for one month”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 34252
Tags: portrait shirt interesting tie criminal crime cap angry mugshot unusual
1915

Nicholas Romanoff [Romanov] (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Nicholas Romanoff [Romanov] [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25191 Call Number: LC-B2- 4315-10
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 5814
Tags: russia libraryofcongress royalty murdered czar romanov romanovs tsar nicholasii czarnicholas
1915

George Bamlett, grocer, arrested for assault
Description: Name: George Bamlett Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 19 October 1914 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-256-George Bamlett The Shields Daily News for 19 October 1914 reports: “ASSAULT ON GIRL AT NO. SHIELDS. Today at North Shields George Bamlette (41), grocer, of 67 Wapping Street, South Shields, was sent to prison for one month for an assault on a girl under 16 years of age, in a place of amusement in the town, on Saturday”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 27330
Tags: portrait shirt interesting tie assault moustache criminal crime cap mugshot
1914

Identified! [Vivian Leroy Crisler (1885-1953), an acoustics researcher at the National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., looking over a loud speaker horn used in sound penetration tests] (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013003254&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. [Vivian Leroy Crisler (1885-1953), an acoustics researcher at the National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., looking over a loud speaker horn used in sound penetration tests] [between 1923 and 1929] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller Notes: Title information from press notes/caption for a similar photograph and Flickr Commons Project, 2015. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.32696 Call Number: LC-H27- A-9443
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 32623
Tags: libraryofcongress acoustics physicists mysterysolved xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 nationalbureauofstandards usbureauofstandards acousticalresearch vlchrisler vivianleroychrisler
1923

What's this gadget? (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013007620&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. NO CAPTION [1934] 1 negative : glass ; 4 x 5 in. or smaller Notes: Date based on date of negatives in same range. Possibly National Bureau of Standards lab (Source: Flickr Commons Project, 2015) Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.37584 Call Number: LC-H2- B-6110
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 22971
Tags: libraryofcongress xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnphec37584
1934

Lawrence Armstrong alias Hanby, soldier, arrested for theft
Description: Name: Lawrence Armstrong alias Hanby Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 30 September 1915 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-262-Lawrence Armstrong AKA Hanby The Shields Daily News for 8 October 1915 reports: “A SOLDIER COMMITTED FOR THEFT. Today at North Shields, Laurence Armstrong (21) of the 1st Northumberland Fusiliers was charged with having stolen on Sept. 20th a box of cigarettes valued at 5s from the shop of Henry Nicholson, tobacconist, Saville Street. An assistant of the prosecutor’s said she was serving a customer on the above date, when accused entered the shop, picked up a box of cigarettes and went away. Defendant was further charged with having stolen a dress ring, valued at £1, the property of Valone Harrison, conductress of a tramcar on Sept. 14th. The prosecutrix said the accused boarded a car on which she was following her employment. He asked to look at her ring. She took it off her finger and showed it to him. Witness then went to collect some fares and while she was thus engaged the accused got off the car. Detective Mason said that when accused was arrested on the previous charge a pawn ticket relating to the ring was found in his possession. Accused pleaded guilty and said he was very sorry. He had been seven months at the front and had been gassed. He was committed to prison for 14 days on each charge”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 55969
Tags: portrait eye face hat shop emblem soldier army nose interesting
1915

George Street from near Martin Place, then Moore Street, c. 1910 / by Sam Hood
Description: Call no.: Home and Away - 7384 Format: glass negative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 5590
Tags: statelibraryofnewsouthwales
1910

Queen Victoria Buildings, looking down George St, n.d. / unknown photographer
Description: Call no.: Government Printing Office 1 - 16633 Format: glass negative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 7166
Tags: trams statelibraryofnewsouthwales
1920

Sarah Cuthill, arrested for stealing clothes
Description: Name: Sarah Cuthill Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 20 July 1916 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-266-Sarah Cuthill The Shields Daily News for 21 July 1916 reports: “LARCENY FROM LODGINGS. GIRL BOUND OVER AT NO. SHIELDS. At North Shields today Sarah Cuthill, aged 16, of 21 Post Office Row, East Hedley Hope, was charged with having stolen various items of clothing to the value of £1 6s, the property of Annie Clark and was further charged with the larceny of a lady’s costume, a pair of gloves, valued at £1 19s 10d, the property of Elizabeth Fitzgerald. Mrs Clark said the accused came to her house, 13 Charlotte Street, on the 3rd inst. carrying a bag and asked for lodgings. She said she was working in Newcastle and had come down to North Shields for a few days. She paid 5s and witness allowed her to stay until the 9th when the girl disappeared. The witness then found that the girl’s bag was also gone and that some clothing was missing from the house. Detective-Sergt. Hall said he received Cuthill into custody from the Whitley police on Wednesday and she admitted the offence. When arrested she was wearing a silk scarf belonging to Mrs Clark. In the other case Mrs Fitzgerald, 78 Princes Street, stated that Cuthill came to her house and asked for lodgings at about 12.45pm on Sunday the 9th inst. saying that she was employed on munition work in Newcastle and that her father was a soldier stationed at the King Edward School. At about 4 o’clock in the afternoon she made some excuse and went out and noticing that the girl’s bag was gone witness looked around and saw that a costume was missing. Running to the door, she saw Cuthill walking along the street and she shouted to her. The girl turned round and walked some steps toward her, whereupon Mrs Fitzgerald went into the house again. The girl did not follow however and when the witness looked out again she was gone. Det. Hall said the girl was wearing the costume at Whitley when arrested. Cuthill admitted both offences. Sergt. Hall said there were other two charges against her at Newcastle and she had admitted those also. On the defendant’s promise to go to a home in Newcastle, she was bound over in the sum of £5 for six months”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 40438
Tags: portrait eye girl hat youth mouth newcastle nose costume clothing
1916

James C. Murray alias Charles W. Murray, Bio-Photoscope operator, arrested for theft
Description: Name: James C. Murray alias Charles W. Murray Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 15 May 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-71-James C Murray AKA Charles W Murray The Shields Daily News for 15 May 1905 reports: “THEFT BY AN OPERATOR AT NORTH SHIELDS. At North Shields Police Court today, James C. Murray (33), Bio-Photoscope operator, belonging to Hull, was charged on remand with having stolen £3 5s, the monies of Walter Payne, Bio-Photoscope proprietor. Prosecutor stated that the accused was engaged by him as an operator of one of his machines at the Central Palace, North Shields. He was to receive every Saturday from the lessee of the Palace £5 at noon and £1 at night, from which he deducted his salary £1 15s. On the 4th March he (witness) received nothing. Mr Wm. Mould, lessee of the Palace, said that on the 4th March, at noon, he paid the accused £5. He did not pay him the £1 in the evening because he did not fulfil the contract. He turned up at night drunk and had to be ejected from the theatre. Inspector Proud said he received the accused into custody from the Birmingham Police. He replied that he got the money but he was robbed and violently assaulted, being confined to his house three weeks. Accused pleaded not guilty and repeated the plea he made to the Inspector. The magistrates ordered him to go for trial at the next Quarter Sessions and prisoner was removed to a cell. Shortly afterwards he expressed a desire to withdraw his plea of not guilty. He was thereupon replaced in the dock and, confessing his guilt, was committed to prison for one month in the second division". These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 14121
Tags: criminal crime cap mugshot hull theft policestation gaol prisoner northshields
1905

Visit of the Marquis of Londonderry to Roker Pier works, 1891
Description: Visit of the Marquis of Londonderry to Roker Pier, 28 October 1891 (TWAM ref. 3768/8). On this occasion the Marquis placed a stone inscribed ‘Londonderry 28.10.91 in a concrete block to be laid in the pier head at a future date. This set of images relates to Roker Pier, Sunderland and is taken from a scrapbook kept by Henry Hay Wake, chief engineer to the River Wear Commission. Henry Wake designed Roker Pier and also oversaw its construction from beginning to end. The Pier' s foundation stone was laid in September 1885 and it was formally opened on 23 September 1903. The Pier is 2,800 feet long and was built of Aberdeen granite and concrete cement at a total cost of £290,000. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12075
Tags: piers victorians sunderland 1890s civilengineering victorianera rokerpier marquisoflondonderry riverwearcommissioners
1891

Dignitaries assembled on Roker Pier, 1895
Description: Dignitaries assemble on Roker Pier to watch a block being laid during the visit of the Channel Fleet to Sunderland, 10 September 1895 (TWAM ref. 3768/8). The Sunderland Daily Echo reported that on 10 September 1895 “Admiral Lord Walter Kerr, in the presence of his staff, members of the River Wear Commission and many influential gentleman laid a 45 ton block in the new Pier. This set of images relates to Roker Pier, Sunderland and is taken from a scrapbook kept by Henry Hay Wake, chief engineer to the River Wear Commission. Henry Wake designed Roker Pier and also oversaw its construction from beginning to end. The Pier' s foundation stone was laid in September 1885 and it was formally opened on 23 September 1903. The Pier is 2,800 feet long and was built of Aberdeen granite and concrete cement at a total cost of £290,000. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13781
Tags: crane piers victorians sunderland 1890s civilengineering victorianera rokerpier channelfleet riverwearcommissioners
1895

Mary Bryan
Description: Name: Mary Bryan Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 22 February 1907 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-43-Mary Bryan The Shields Daily News for 1 March 1907 reports: “ALLEGED FRAUD AT NORTH SHIELDS. At North Shields Police Court today, Margaret Bryan (70), widow, Lawson Street, was charged on a warrant, with having obtained, by means of false pretences, groceries to the value of 12s 10d, from Mary Dignan, between the 28th Jan. and the 2nd Feb. Mr G.R. Duncan appeared for the defence. The evidence showed that the accused came to the shop of the prosecutrix in Vicarage Street on three occasions between the dates mentioned and was supplied with groceries on credit. She said her husband was a plater employed at Smith’s Dock and that she would pay on the Saturday. Mrs Dignan made enquiries and found that her statement was incorrect. Upon a point raised by Mr Duncan the case was adjourned until tomorrow for the production of the prosecutrix’s books. The Shields Daily News for 2 March 1907y reports: “THE NORTH SHIELDS FALSE PRETENCES CASE. ACCUSED BOUND OVER. At the North Shields Police Court this morning, Mary Bryan (70), married, 26 Lawson Street, was charged on remand with obtaining groceries to the value of 12s 10d, by false pretences, from Mary Dignan, between Jan. 28 and Feb. 2. The case was adjourned from yesterday for the production of an order book by the prosecutrix. This was handed in and minutely examined by Mr Duncan, who represented the accused. Detective Radcliffe spoke to apprehending the accused at 26 Lawson Street, and charging her with the offence. She denied the offence but admitted having received the groceries. Chief Constable Huish said on the day the woman was arrested he asked her where her husband was and she then told him she was a widow. After being remanded yesterday, witness asked her if she was a widow and she replied, “Yes, a grass widow”. She also said her husband had been in the workhouse for about five years and during the last two years had been in that institution permanently. He was 80 years of age. Witness made enquiries at the workhouse and there found her husband, who was 74 years of age. Mr Duncan: Do you think it quite English to interrogate a defendant after a remand? The Chief Constable: I considered it fair to the woman herself. The woman and her daughter had been travelling between Newcastle, Wallsend and North Shields, taking houses and obtaining goods as in this case, and had used four different names. The accused gave evidence on her own behalf and denied making any false statement to the prosecutrix. She certainly did not say that her husband was a plater and worked at Smith’s Dock as the prosecutrix alleged. Mr Duncan pleaded for leniency and the Bench bound her over for 6 months to come up for judgement if called upon. They suggested that the money should be refunded. If she paid it back, the magistrates would take it into consideration when she came up again for sentence”. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 17811
Tags: old woman hat coat criminal crime elderly mugshot policestation fraud
1907

Cicimurus regius, King Bird of Paradise from John Gould’s the Birds of New Guinea and the adjacent Papuan islands, London, 1875-1888
Description: Call Number: Rb /RF598.2984/4 Vol 1 Format: Colour plate in book Find more detailed information about this illustration: library.sl.nsw.gov.au/record=b2666391~S2 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx <a From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 9013
Tags: papuanewguinea birdsofparadise johngould
1880

Parotia lawesi, Lawes Bird of Paradise from John Gould’s the Birds of New Guinea and the adjacent Papuan islands, London, 1875-1888
Description: Call Number: RB /RF598.2984/4 Vol 1 Format: Colour plate in book Find more detailed information about this illustration: library.sl.nsw.gov.au/record=b2666391~S2 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx <a From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 11223
Tags: papuanewguinea birdsofparadise johngould
1880

L'Emiraude from  L'Histoire des grimpereaux et des oiseaux de paradis.
Description: Call Number: RB F0075 Find more detailed information about this illustration library.sl.nsw.gov.au/record=b1260696~S2 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx <a From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 18285
Tags: papuanewguinea birdsofparadise louisjeanpierrevieillot jeanbaptisteaudebert
1825

Work in progress on two Clark-Sulzer engines
Description: Work in progress on two Clark-Sulzer engines at the Southwick Engine Works of George Clark (Sunderland) Ltd, May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1361/323). In the foreground is the bedplate of an 8-cylinder engine for the refrigerated cargo vessel ‘America Star’ under construction by the shipyard of Bartram & Sons Ltd. In the background is a 6-cylinder Clark-Sulzer engine for the ‘Maurice Delmas’ also under construction by Bartram & Sons Ltd. Sunderland has a remarkable history of innovation in shipbuilding and marine engineering. From the development of turret ships in the 1890s and the production of Doxford opposed piston engines after the First World War through to the designs for Liberty ships in the 1940s and SD14s in the 1960s. Sunderland has much to be proud of. Tyne & Wear Archives cares for tens of thousands of photographs in its shipbuilding collections. Most of these focus on the ships – in particular their construction, launch and sea trials. This set looks to redress the balance and to celebrate the work of the men and women who have played such a vital part in the region’s history. The images show the human side of this great story, with many relating to the world famous shipbuilding and engineering firm William Doxford & Sons Ltd. The Archives has produced a short blog to accompany these images. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 15400
Tags: shadow abstract industry metal wall shirt hair kneel landscape shoe
1963

Thomas Melia, arrested for mugging a Norwegian seaman
Description: Name: Thomas Melia Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 15 December 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-81-Thomas Melia The Shields Daily News for 18 December 1905 reports: “THEFT FROM THE PERSON AT NORTH SHIELDS. At North Shields Police Court today, Thomas Melia (29), Causey Bank and John Casey (44), Clive Street, were charged with being concerned together in stealing 8s from a Norwegian seaman named Elens Sjursen on the 13th inst. Prosecutor stated that on the 12th inst. he was paid off from the SS Kingscote at Middlesbro’. He came to North Shields the same day, and on the following day, between 11 and 12pm he was in Clive Street, a little the worse for drink, and he met the two prisoners and asked them where a woman named Hunter lived. They said they would show him and they took him to a house and as he was about to go in Casey struck him in the face, blackening his right eye, and Melia got him by the neck and took his money out of his pocket after which they made off. Further evidence having been given by two women, who witnessed the assault and robbery, and Detective Sergt. Scougal, who arrested them, the accused were formally charged and pleaded not guilty. Previous convictions were put in against both prisoners and the magistrates sent them to prison for a month”. As this report indicates it certainly wasn’t Melia’s first brush with the law. The Shields Daily News for 6 February 1905 reports: “AN UNMITIGATED SHAMELESS BLACKGUARD. EXEMPLARY PUNISHMENT. At North Shields Police Court today, Thomas Melia (29), Causey Bank, was charged with living upon the proceeds of the prostitution of Bridget Lamb, between Oct 1st and Jan 31st. Evidence having been given, the Chairman (Mr T. Young) said the accused was the most unmitigated, shameless blackguard that had ever been brought before them and he would have to go to prison for 3 months with hard labour”. These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected].
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 20291
Tags: beard interesting assault historic moustache criminal prostitution crime cap mugshot
1905

Crew's dayroom on the tanker 'Borgsten'
Description: View of the crew's dayroom, looking from the hobby room, on the tanker ‘Borgsten’, January 1964 (TWAM ref. DS.JLT/4/PH/1/709/7/12). She was built by J.L. Thompson & Sons Ltd, North Sands, Sunderland. This set celebrates the achievements of the famous Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company’s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was known as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its last wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding. By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For many years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth largest output of any shipyard in the world. The Depression affected the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels were launched from 1931 to 1934. However, during those years the company developed a hull design giving greater efficiency and economy in service. During the Second World War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was used by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards between 1942 and 1945. After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to build many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, although it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 9651
Tags: cabin ship chairs furniture vessel crew 1960s tanker sunderland dayroom
1964

A seaman's cabin on the tanker ‘Borgsten’
Description: View inside a seaman's cabin on the tanker ‘Borgsten’, January 1964 (TWAM ref. DS.JLT/4/PH/1/709/7/12). She was built by J.L. Thompson & Sons Ltd, North Sands, Sunderland. This set celebrates the achievements of the famous Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company’s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was known as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its last wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding. By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For many years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth largest output of any shipyard in the world. The Depression affected the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels were launched from 1931 to 1934. However, during those years the company developed a hull design giving greater efficiency and economy in service. During the Second World War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was used by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards between 1942 and 1945. After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to build many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, although it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 10247
Tags: cabin ship vessel tanker sunderland shipbuilding seaman borgsten jlthompsonsonsltd northsandssunderland
1964

Making army cooks, Pratt Institute (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Making army cooks, Pratt Institute [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.24954 Call Number: LC-B2- 4278-17
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 8600
Tags: kitchen libraryofcongress prattinstitute xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain24954
1915

Capt. Jack Adams boarding RECRUIT (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Capt. Jack Adams boarding RECRUIT [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25526 Call Number: LC-B2- 4372-3
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 5513
Tags: adams trolley manhattan libraryofcongress unionsquare usnavy usn trolleycar unitedstatesnavy jackadams
1915