These 2,608,297 images need to be put on the map. Can you help pin their Where?

Sarah Cuthill, arrested for stealing clothes
Description: Name: Sarah Cuthill Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 20 July 1916 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-266-Sarah Cuthill The Shields Daily News for 21 July 1916 reports: “LARCENY FROM LODGINGS. GIRL BOUND OVER AT NO. SHIELDS. At North Shields today Sarah Cuthill, aged 16, of 21 Post Office Row, East Hedley Hope, was charged with having stolen various items of clothing to the value of £1 6s, the property of Annie Clark and was further charged with the larceny of a lady’s costume, a pair of gloves, valued at £1 19s 10d, the property of Elizabeth Fitzgerald. Mrs Clark said the accused came to her house, 13 Charlotte Street, on the 3rd inst. carrying a bag and asked for lodgings. She said she was working in Newcastle and had come down to North Shields for a few days. She paid 5s and witness allowed her to stay until the 9th when the girl disappeared. The witness then found that the girl’s bag was also gone and that some clothing was missing from the house. Detective-Sergt. Hall said he received Cuthill into custody from the Whitley police on Wednesday and she admitted the offence. When arrested she was wearing a silk scarf belonging to Mrs Clark. In the other case Mrs Fitzgerald, 78 Princes Street, stated that Cuthill came to her house and asked for lodgings at about 12.45pm on Sunday the 9th inst. saying that she was employed on munition work in Newcastle and that her father was a soldier stationed at the King Edward School. At about 4 o’clock in the afternoon she made some excuse and went out and noticing that the girl’s bag was gone witness looked around and saw that a costume was missing. Running to the door, she saw Cuthill walking along the street and she shouted to her. The girl turned round and walked some steps toward her, whereupon Mrs Fitzgerald went into the house again. The girl did not follow however and when the witness looked out again she was gone. Det. Hall said the girl was wearing the costume at Whitley when arrested. Cuthill admitted both offences. Sergt. Hall said there were other two charges against her at Newcastle and she had admitted those also. On the defendant’s promise to go to a home in Newcastle, she was bound over in the sum of £5 for six months”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 28097
Tags: portrait eye girl hat youth mouth newcastle nose costume clothing
1916

Visit of the Marquis of Londonderry to Roker Pier works, 1891
Description: Visit of the Marquis of Londonderry to Roker Pier, 28 October 1891 (TWAM ref. 3768/8). On this occasion the Marquis placed a stone inscribed ‘Londonderry 28.10.91 in a concrete block to be laid in the pier head at a future date. This set of images relates to Roker Pier, Sunderland and is taken from a scrapbook kept by Henry Hay Wake, chief engineer to the River Wear Commission. Henry Wake designed Roker Pier and also oversaw its construction from beginning to end. The Pier' s foundation stone was laid in September 1885 and it was formally opened on 23 September 1903. The Pier is 2,800 feet long and was built of Aberdeen granite and concrete cement at a total cost of £290,000. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 9414
Tags: piers victorians sunderland 1890s civilengineering victorianera rokerpier marquisoflondonderry riverwearcommissioners
1891

Dignitaries assembled on Roker Pier, 1895
Description: Dignitaries assemble on Roker Pier to watch a block being laid during the visit of the Channel Fleet to Sunderland, 10 September 1895 (TWAM ref. 3768/8). The Sunderland Daily Echo reported that on 10 September 1895 “Admiral Lord Walter Kerr, in the presence of his staff, members of the River Wear Commission and many influential gentleman laid a 45 ton block in the new Pier. This set of images relates to Roker Pier, Sunderland and is taken from a scrapbook kept by Henry Hay Wake, chief engineer to the River Wear Commission. Henry Wake designed Roker Pier and also oversaw its construction from beginning to end. The Pier' s foundation stone was laid in September 1885 and it was formally opened on 23 September 1903. The Pier is 2,800 feet long and was built of Aberdeen granite and concrete cement at a total cost of £290,000. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 10344
Tags: crane piers victorians sunderland 1890s civilengineering victorianera rokerpier channelfleet riverwearcommissioners
1895

Parotia lawesi, Lawes Bird of Paradise from John Gould’s the Birds of New Guinea and the adjacent Papuan islands, London, 1875-1888
Description: Call Number: RB /RF598.2984/4 Vol 1 Format: Colour plate in book Find more detailed information about this illustration: library.sl.nsw.gov.au/record=b2666391~S2 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx <a From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 8876
Tags: papuanewguinea birdsofparadise johngould
1880

Ballykinlar internment camp players: a troupe of prisoners formed during their period of internment
Description: This interesting Hogan photograph shows a group of men who were interned in Ballykinlar together. Here shown after taking part in some amateur dramatics. Ballykinlar Internment Camp, County Down, was a detention centre for republican prisoners during the War of Independence, and while it's possible that the photo was taken there circa 1921, the troupe also performed in Dublin in 1922 (after release). Whether it was during internment or afterwards, sharon.corbet and Carol Maddock highlight some incredible sources (including the fantastic program and posters sourced by Sharon from the camp itself). The Freeman's Journal article of 1922, which Carol sourced, indicates that the Ballykinlar Players are likely shown here in costume for "The Lord Mayor", a play in three acts by Edward McNulty. From the article:  The leading role is filled by Mr. K[it] Mullen, who makes the ideal “strong, silent man of the Corporation”, and his scheming wife, Mrs. O’Brien, is well represented by Miceal O Leimne. Dick Saunders sustains with marked ability the part of Moira O’Brien. Jimmie [Seamus or JJ] Mulkerns (The Rajah) interprets Gaffney faultlessly, and Paddy Byrne acts with spirit as Gaffney’s clerk. The other parts are taken by Liam Wilson, Tom Fullam, George Hogan (creditors), Mick Gaynor (Major Butterfield), Jas. Mallon (servant), Peter Mulvey and Sean Connolly (charwomen).  Freeman’s Journal, 7 February 1922 Photographer: W. D. Hogan Collection: Hogan-Wilson Collection Date: circa 1921 NLI Ref.: HOGW 132 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 47892
Tags: hoganwilsoncollection nationallibraryofireland ballykinlar ballykinlarplayers internmentcamp actors amateurdramatics prisoners warofindependence rajahoffrongoch
1921

Student Action for Aborigines protest outside Moree Town Hall and Council Chambers, February 1965 / The Tribune
Description: Can you help identify the people and places documented in this photograph? Call Number:ON 161/221 Format: Photograph 35 mm Find more detailed information about this photograph:http://www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemID=965299 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx For more information about Indigenous Services at the State Library of NSW: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/services/indigenous/index.html Protocols for Libraries and Archives. Further information on the ATSILIRN Protocols is available here: atsilirn.aiatsis.gov.au/protocols.php#_=_ From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 7270
Tags: moree statelibraryofnsw freedomrides1965 studentactionforaborigines
1965

The tanker 'Spinanger' ready for launch
Description: View of the tanker ‘Spinanger’ ready for launch at the North Sands shipyard of J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland, 22 October 1957 (TWAM ref. DS.JLT/4/PH/1/694/2/2). The launch of 'Spinanger' was unusual in that it was carried out without the assistance of tugboats. This was due to industrial action by the Wear tugboatmen. This set celebrates the achievements of the famous Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company’s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was known as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its last wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding. By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For many years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth largest output of any shipyard in the world. The Depression affected the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels were launched from 1931 to 1934. However, during those years the company developed a hull design giving greater efficiency and economy in service. During the Second World War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was used by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards between 1942 and 1945. After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to build many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, although it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12231
Tags: abstract man reflection industry water glass hat metal standing river
1957

ca_20150730_000
Description: 2 imagini: portrete, 3 martie 1940
Owner: Costică Acsinte Archive
Views: 14550
Tags: costicăacsintearchive 20150730 glassplates ialomita românia rou bagpipes cimpoiul camilitary
1940

Physical Culture Class, 1934
Description: Bjelke-Petersen School of Physical Culture, Sydney. Creator: Sam Hood,1872-1953 Call Number: Home and Away - 4808 Format: Photonegative Digital Order No. hood_04808 Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw/ From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 7842
Tags: exercise hairstyles physicaleducation statelibraryofnsw
1934

Physical Culture Class, 1934
Description: Bjelke-Petersen School, Sydney. Call Number: Home and Away - 4810 Creator: Sam Hood (1872-1953) Format: Photonegative Digital Order No. hood_04810 Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw/ From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 11345
Tags: hairstyles physicaleducation statelibraryofnsw
1934

Southwick Shipyard of Austin & Pickersgill Ltd
Description: Aerial view of the Southwick shipyard of Austin & Pickersgill, Sunderland looking down the River Wear, May 1965 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/36078A). This set of aerial images is intended as a short historical tour of the River Wear from the Piers to Pallion. It gives us an impression of what the River looked like during the middle years of the Twentieth Century, when it was a hive of industrial activity. Sunderland had an international reputation for shipbuilding and this is well represented in this set with images of its famous shipyards such as Austin & Pickersgill, J.L. Thompson & Sons and Sir James Laing & Sons. The River Wear was also home to a thriving marine engineering industry, reflected here by images of the engine works of William Doxford & Sons and George Clark. Other industries are also featured such as glassmaking and of course the key industry of coal mining. Mining is represented by images of Wearmouth Colliery and the riverside coal staithes, which were vital to the coal trade. These images reflect how much the River Wear has changed over the past 50 years, with the disappearance of traditional heavy industries. Those businesses may have gone but Sunderland can be proud of its industrial heritage and the men and women who worked on Wearside and helped to shape the City we know today. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13112
Tags: riverwear aerialphotography sunderland shipbuilding ships austinpickersgillltd southwick southwickshipyard queenalexandrabridge wearside
1965

Shervick Tractors at the Elswick Works
Description: View of Shervick Tractors inside 136 Shop, Elswick Works, Newcastle upon Tyne, April 1948 (TWAM ref. 1027/269). These tractors were manufactured by Vickers after the Second World War, using Sherman tanks, which had become surplus to military requirements. ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 15799
Tags: door tractor men industry wheel metal wall shirt bar standing
1948

Elswick Shipyard, 1885
Description: View of Elswick Shipyard, 1885 (TWAM ref. 696/5). This appears to show the Austrian cruiser ‘Panther’ ready for launch. The photograph seems to have been taken from the King's Meadow, an island in the middle of the Tyne, which has since been dredged away. ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 17141
Tags: roof chimney abstract men industry beach church window glass hat
1885

Wartime medical equipment at the Elswick Works
Description: View of Dr Clarkson and a colleague, wearing wartime medical equipment at the Elswick Works, Newcastle upon Tyne, 25 November 1940 (TWAM ref. 1027/neg15299). Dr Clarkson is ‘armed’ with a wartime medical belt, holding a syringe and medical supplies. Healing was essential but smiling was optional! ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 20462
Tags: shadow portrait eye industry face wall shirt standing mouth hair
1940

Amphibious Tank on the River Tyne
Description: View of an amphibious tank on the River Tyne, c1932. ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13219
Tags: roof chimney sky cloud man men industry window water glass
1932

Grand Slam bombs awaiting delivery
Description: “Grand Slam” Bombs awaiting delivery, 7 January 1945 (TWAM ref. 1027/5178). ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 19316
Tags: light industry wheel standing vent belt clothing workers uniform industrial
1945

Rolls Royce Cylinders at the Elswick Works
Description: Rolls Royce Cylinders in 24 Shop, Elswick Works, Newcastle upon Tyne, 16 March 1939 (TWAM ref. 1027/5178). ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12904
Tags: shadow man blur industry glass wheel metal wall shirt standing
1939

Macquarie Street South [1859] [Taken from corner of Hunter & Macquarie Streets, looking south. St. Stephens Presbyterian Iron Church on left]
Description: Call Number: PXB 698 Format: Stereographic print Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 19922
Tags: state library sydney nsw
1860

R.I.C. and military leaving Limerick
Description: R.I.C. military and armoured car leaving Limerick on a scouting expedition So many maps but no definitive location as of yet - can you help? Thanks to Dr O Mac for identifying the vehicles as, two Crossley Tenders, One c1915 DAIMLER 30HP Y-TYPE 3-TON LORRY and one Austin Armoured car. Interesting times indeed as can be seen from the following contribution from Carol Maddock "Any Irishman who joins the service of the enemy in the R.I.C. at the present time must be regarded and dealt with as the worst type of traitor. We have no desire to be harsh to those who in older and more peaceful time joined through ignorance, not understanding what they did, and who, in these days, have shown no special malevolence in the work they are compelled to do against the Irish Republic; but there is no excuse for the Irishman who dons the uniform of the enemy for active service against his countrymen at the present time." (from p. 4 of An t-Óglách: The Official Organ of the Irish Volunteers, 15 April 1920) Photographer: W. D. Hogan Collection: Hogan-Wilson Collection Date: ca.1920 NLI Ref.: HOG147 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 31710
Tags: hoganwilsoncollection nationallibraryofirelandricmilitarylimerickarmouredcartruckuniformsplainclothes crossleytender daimler30hp daimler3ton austinarmouredcar daimlertruck limerick colimerick munster
1920

Charles Nixon, bookmaker's clerk, arrested for false pretences
Description: Name: Charles Nixon Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 20 December 1907 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-119-Charles Nixon The Shields Daily News for 20 December 1907 reports: "CHARGE AGAINST A BOOKMAKER'S CLERK AT NORTH SHIELDS. At North Shields Police Court today, Charles Nixon (30), bookmaker's clerk, South Shields, was charged with attempting to obtain 4s by false pretences from a shopkeeper on Thursday. The prosecutor stated that the accused told him that he had been fined £10 and wanted to get his money back. He asked witness for 4s to put on a horse which had won a race that day and stated that he was working for a big firm of bookmakers and would send the money up, as though it had been put on before the race. The winnings would be £50, which he offered to divide with witness. He, however, declined to have anything to do with him. The accused said he did not see how he could be guilty of false pretences in simply asking for money to put on a horse. He was committed for 7 days". These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12921
Tags: hat deception criminal crime jacket bowlerhat mugshot bookmakers southshields policestation
1907

Description: [Scenes of Centennial Park, Sydney, N.S.W.], hand-coloured postcard prints. Call Number: PXA 635 /135 Format: Hand-coloured postcard prints. Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 11100
Tags: autumn reflection islands sunsets swans centennialpark autumncolour statelibraryofnsw autumnglow
1920

Description: [Scenes of Centennial Park, Sydney, N.S.W.], hand-coloured postcard prints. Call Number: PXA 635 /135 Format: Hand-coloured postcard prints. Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 13326
Tags: autumn sunset reflection islands lakes statues palmtrees postcards ponds centennialpark
1920

Moonlight
Description: [San Souci, Sydney, N.S.W.] Call Number: PXA 635 / 784 Format: Hand-coloured postcard prints. Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 11191
Tags: autumn reflections sunsets postcards autumncolour sansouci statelibraryofnsw autumnglow
1920

Mrs. Phil. Lydig & Mrs. Geo. Ethridge (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Mrs. Phil. Lydig & Mrs. Geo. Ethridge [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.24407 Call Number: LC-B2- 4212-9
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 15962
Tags: newyork washingtonsquare libraryofcongress gardenparty greenwichvillage 1917 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain24407 nationalleagueforwomensservice
1915

The Thing
Description: Model tram, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath I see you were all underwhelmed by this thing! It seems to be designed as an advertising float which might be used in parades etc. No sign of any government warning whatsoever against the use of the products being advertised. Photographer: James P. O'Dea Collection: James P. O'Dea Date: June 01 1963 NLI Ref.: ODEA 36/31 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 20478
Tags: ireland bus mannequin truck advertising tram 102 thething advertisment mullingar
1963

[Gentleman paying street merchant],  ca. 1880s-1900
Description: Call Number: PXA 2109/no. 51 Format: Albumen photoprint Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 10254
Tags: statelibraryofnsw crowdsource
1880

Planes, Shannon Airport, Co. Galway
Description: Photographer: James P. O'Dea Collection: James P. O'Dea Date: September 04 1961 NLI Ref.: ODEA 27/37 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 20146
Tags: aviation aircraft airplane airliners airlines n9716c capitolairways capitolair cn4545 4545
1961

Cicimurus regius, King Bird of Paradise from John Gould’s the Birds of New Guinea and the adjacent Papuan islands, London, 1875-1888
Description: Call Number: Rb /RF598.2984/4 Vol 1 Format: Colour plate in book Find more detailed information about this illustration: library.sl.nsw.gov.au/record=b2666391~S2 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx <a From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 6884
Tags: papuanewguinea birdsofparadise johngould
1880

L'Emiraude from  L'Histoire des grimpereaux et des oiseaux de paradis.
Description: Call Number: RB F0075 Find more detailed information about this illustration library.sl.nsw.gov.au/record=b1260696~S2 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx <a From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 15393
Tags: papuanewguinea birdsofparadise louisjeanpierrevieillot jeanbaptisteaudebert
1825

Work in progress on two Clark-Sulzer engines
Description: Work in progress on two Clark-Sulzer engines at the Southwick Engine Works of George Clark (Sunderland) Ltd, May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1361/323). In the foreground is the bedplate of an 8-cylinder engine for the refrigerated cargo vessel ‘America Star’ under construction by the shipyard of Bartram & Sons Ltd. In the background is a 6-cylinder Clark-Sulzer engine for the ‘Maurice Delmas’ also under construction by Bartram & Sons Ltd. Sunderland has a remarkable history of innovation in shipbuilding and marine engineering. From the development of turret ships in the 1890s and the production of Doxford opposed piston engines after the First World War through to the designs for Liberty ships in the 1940s and SD14s in the 1960s. Sunderland has much to be proud of. Tyne & Wear Archives cares for tens of thousands of photographs in its shipbuilding collections. Most of these focus on the ships – in particular their construction, launch and sea trials. This set looks to redress the balance and to celebrate the work of the men and women who have played such a vital part in the region’s history. The images show the human side of this great story, with many relating to the world famous shipbuilding and engineering firm William Doxford & Sons Ltd. The Archives has produced a short blog to accompany these images. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12661
Tags: shadow abstract industry metal wall shirt hair kneel landscape shoe
1963

A seaman's cabin on the tanker ‘Borgsten’
Description: View inside a seaman's cabin on the tanker ‘Borgsten’, January 1964 (TWAM ref. DS.JLT/4/PH/1/709/7/12). She was built by J.L. Thompson & Sons Ltd, North Sands, Sunderland. This set celebrates the achievements of the famous Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company’s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was known as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its last wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding. By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For many years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth largest output of any shipyard in the world. The Depression affected the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels were launched from 1931 to 1934. However, during those years the company developed a hull design giving greater efficiency and economy in service. During the Second World War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was used by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards between 1942 and 1945. After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to build many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, although it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8677
Tags: cabin ship vessel tanker sunderland shipbuilding seaman borgsten jlthompsonsonsltd northsandssunderland
1964

Valentine Tank ready for delivery
Description: View of a 6-pdr. Valentine Tank on a truck ready for delivery, inside the Tank Shop, Elswick Works, Newcastle upon tyne, 21 September 1942 (TWAM ref. DX1529/1). ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 16837
Tags: light industry window glass wheel wall truck newcastle belt interesting
1942

Some of the men who took Tilloy (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Some of the men who took Tilloy [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.24760 Call Number: LC-B2- 4251-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 11531
Tags: blackandwhite france infantry liverpool photographer wwi british libraryofcongress xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain24760
1915

Repairing locomotives at the Scotswood Works
Description: Carrying our repairs to locomotives in 12 Shop, Scotswood Works, Newcastle upon Tyne, April 1948 (TWAM ref. 1027/269). ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 22340
Tags: scotswoodworks newcastleupontyne factory industry vickersarmstrong locomotive repairing industrial tynewear blackandwhitephotograph
1948

Maj. F.E. Evans (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Maj. F.E. Evans [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.24610 Call Number: LC-B2- 4236-13
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 12434
Tags: blackandwhite bw white news black monochrome usmc infantry frank mono
1915