These 2,607,358 images need to be put on the map. Can you help pin their Where?

Thomas Craigie, labourer, arrested for breaking into a house
Description: Name: Thomas Craigie Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 2 November 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-79-Thomas Craigie For an image of his accomplice Edwin Frankland see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/24815527135/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 9 November 1905 reports: “LENIENTLY DEALT WITH. Edwin F. Frankland (17), steamboatman, 41 Elsdon Street and Thomas Craigie (18), labourer, Bull Ring Stairs, were charged with being found on enclosed premises for an unlawful purpose on the 1st inst. Miss Sarah Hall, a general dealer, residing and carrying on business in the Bull Ring, deposed to locking up her premises at 11.15 pm on the 31st ult. and being awakened by her sister at six o’clock the following morning and finding that the house had been entered. Jane Hall, a sister of the prosecutrix, said that she awakened and saw Frankland standing in the door with a candle in his hand. She asked him what he wanted and he made no reply. Sergeant Hall said that he apprehended Frankland at his house in Elsdon Street. In reply to the charge he said “Craigie forced open the shutters, drew the bolt, went inside and I followed. I struck a match and someone shouted out.” He apprehended Craigie in his mother’s house and he made no reply to the charge. The magistrates took a lenient view of the case, although the defendants pleaded guilty and dismissed the charge against them.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). This set contains mugshots of boys and girls under the age of 21. This reflects the fact that until 1970 that was the legal age of majority in the UK. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 20261
Tags: boy portrait blur eye face hat scarf mouth hair nose
1905

Tugboats towing 'Naess Crusader' after her launch
Description: View of ‘Naess Crusader’ being towed after launch from the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland, 21 December 1972 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/60988A). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 16862
Tags: light sky cloud abstract blur industry window water glass night
1972

The bow of 'Naess Crusader' nears completion
Description: Work on the bow of 'Naess Crusader' nearing completion at the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland, 5 December 1972 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/60900C). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13664
Tags: industry interesting construction industrial ship vessel historic riverwear cranes bow
1972

Edwin Frankland, steamboatman, arrested for breaking into a house
Description: Name: Edwin Frankland Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 2 November 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-79-Edwin Frankland For an image of his accomplice Thomas Craigie see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/24927320706/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 9 November 1905 reports: “LENIENTLY DEALT WITH. Edwin F. Frankland (17), steamboatman, 41 Elsdon Street and Thomas Craigie (18), labourer, Bull Ring Stairs, were charged with being found on enclosed premises for an unlawful purpose on the 1st inst. Miss Sarah Hall, a general dealer, residing and carrying on business in the Bull Ring, deposed to locking up her premises at 11.15 pm on the 31st ult. and being awakened by her sister at six o’clock the following morning and finding that the house had been entered. Jane Hall, a sister of the prosecutrix, said that she awakened and saw Frankland standing in the door with a candle in his hand. She asked him what he wanted and he made no reply. Sergeant Hall said that he apprehended Frankland at his house in Elsdon Street. In reply to the charge he said “Craigie forced open the shutters, drew the bolt, went inside and I followed. I struck a match and someone shouted out.” He apprehended Craigie in his mother’s house and he made no reply to the charge. The magistrates took a lenient view of the case, although the defendants pleaded guilty and dismissed the charge against them.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). This set contains mugshots of boys and girls under the age of 21. This reflects the fact that until 1970 that was the legal age of majority in the UK. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 17859
Tags: prisoner crime criminal northshields elsdonstreet northtyneside policestation mugshot cap young
1905

Bulkheads in place on 'Naess Crusader'
Description: View of bulkheads in place on the 'Naess Crusader' at the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland, 14 March 1972 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/59686B). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 26793
Tags: industry interesting construction industrial historic riverwear cranes shipyard shipping sunderland
1972

Whose blouse was not washed in OMO?
Description: This somewhat 'different' photograph from the Clonbrock collection is labelled fully as "Bicycle Gymkhana. Women's bicycle fun race. Competitors stopped to drink from cups. Women wearing white blouses and straw boater hats". It appears to show ladies with bicycles drinking/eating from cups likely as part of a fun race at a "Bicycle Gymkhana" day - perhaps at the Clonbrock estate. With lots of hats and early cycling fashions on display, we wondered if the community could help with extra context - and duly obliged. Thanks especially today to John Spooner and beachcomberaustralia for providing extra context on the popularity of these types of events in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. And how, while perhaps somewhat whimsical in themselves, marked a social trend towards independence in transport at the time.... Photographers: Dillon Family Contributors: Luke Gerald Dillon, Augusta Caroline Dillon Collection: Clonbrock Photographic Collection Date: Circa 1900 NLI Ref: CLON882 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 26582
Tags: lukegeralddillon baronclonbrock augustacarolinedillon baronessclonbrock dillonfamily nationallibraryofireland bicycle bicyclegymkhana firstwavefeminism funrace
1900

The cargo ship 'Tangistan' after launch
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Tangistan’ afloat on the River Tyne after launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shield, 20 December 1949 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/6/3990F). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 14013
Tags: roof chimney sky people abstract blur industry water hat wall
1949

Working on a propeller at Readhead's shipyard
Description: Workers fitting a propeller to its shaft at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1061/1197). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 15801
Tags: roof shadow sky abstract building industry window glass hat wall
1963

Lucio Pelliza, Italian waiter, arrested for theft
Description: Name: Lucio Pelliza alias Frank Jackson Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 10 May 1906 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-87-Lucio Pelliza AKA Frank Jackson The Shields Daily News for 18 May 1906 reports: “ALLEGED LARCENY AT NORTH SHIELDS. ACCUSED COMMITTED FOR TRIAL. At North Shields Police Court today, Lucio Pelliza (23), described as a waiter, who was charged on Wednesday with having stolen, from a dwelling house in Sibthorpe Street, a gold necklace, a gold brooche, a silver watch, albert and medal and £4 5s. valued in all £11 10s, the property of Erimo Gianandrea, between the 6th and 7th inst., was again placed in the dock. The depositions, which were taken on Wednesday and reported at the time, were read over to the witnesses and signed by them, after which the accused, who had nothing to say, was formally committed for trial at the Assizes.” The Shields Daily News for 4 July 1906 reports: “The Midsummer Sessions for the County of Northumberland were held at the Moot Hall, Newcastle, this morning ... Lucio Pelliza, 23, waiter, pleaded guilty to having stolen £4 5s, a silver watch and other articles, the property of Erimo Gianandrea, at Tynemouth, between May 7 and 8 last. Prisoner promised that after he served his term of punishment he would go back to his own country and lead a better life. The Chairman said the prisoner had been three times convicted of similar offences. This time he would go to prison for 18 months with hard labour. A sovereign which had been found sewn in prisoner’s coat was ordered to be restored to the prosecutor.” This wasn’t his first time in gaol. The Dundee Evening Telegraph of 12 September 1905 reports: “DARING THEFT AT CUPAR. ITALIAN WAITER’S CRIME. Luci Pelliza, of no fixed residence, was charged ... at Cupar today with having, on 11th September, within the shop in Burnside, occupied by John and Peter Cura, restaurant-keepers, stolen from a lockfast till two bags containing £7 12s 4½d. He pleaded guilty. The Fiscal stated that the accused was left in charge of the shop for a short time and that as soon as his master was out he forced open the till, pocketed the contents and made off, leaving the shop to look after itself. The Sheriff having remarked on the seriousness of the offence, ordered the accused to go to prison for 60 days.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 17934
Tags: portrait blur hat shirt interesting italian mark grain tie suit
1906

Aerial view of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons and beyond
Description: Aerial photograph of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 10 May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1061/1164). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12943
Tags: road roof sky abstract blur industry water wall buildings river
1963

Christmas message from the workers
Description: Christmas message from the workers of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields as they prepare to launch the cargo ship ‘Empire Curzon’, 24 December 1943 (TWAM ref. 1061/1053). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 21509
Tags: christmas wood xmas abstract industry hat bar handwriting boot chalk
1943

Launch party of the cargo ship 'Empire Hazlitt'
Description: Members of the launch party of the cargo ship ‘Empire Hazlitt’, at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 14 May 1942 (TWAM ref. 1061/1043). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 14061
Tags: roof shadow chimney sky people building men brick window glass
1942

Preparing the cargo ship 'Crofter' for launch
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Crofter’ being prepared for launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 16 August 1951 (TWAM ref. 1061/1086). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 16364
Tags: sky abstract blur building industry window glass wall stairs interesting
1951

Aerial view of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons
Description: Aerial photograph of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 10 May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1061/1164). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13507
Tags: road houses roof chimney abstract reflection heritage industry window water
1963

hood_13299r
Description: Departure of Strathnaver (John Longden, Cinesound) Call Number: Home and Away - 13299 Format: film photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 6688
Tags: statelibraryofnsw passengerships
1936

David Jones' models (?) Arrival of
Description: Call Number: Home and Away - 14066 Format: film photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 8500
Tags: statelibraryofnsw passengerships
1937

Stern view of the cargo ship 'Armanistan'
Description: Starboard stern view of the cargo ship ‘Armanistan’ at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, November 1948 (TWAM ref. 1061/1079). She was launched on 30 November 1948. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12314
Tags: door roof sky cloud abstract building london industry window glass
1948

George Webster, cartman, arrested for embezzlement
Description: Name: George Webster Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 25 September 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-77-George Webster The Shields Daily News for 25 September 1905 reports: EMBEZZLEMENT AT NORTH SHIELDS. A CARTMAN SENT TO PRISON. “At North Shields Police Court today George Webster (35), fireman, 186 Stephenson Street, was charged on a warrant with embezzling sums of 7s 4d, 4s8d and 1s 4d, the moneys of his employer, Mr W.A. Wilkinson, mineral water manufacturer. Mr S.R. Holliday appeared for the prosecution. Mr Holliday said the accused was charged with having embezzled three sums of money from Mr Wilkinson, with whom he had been employed five weeks. He was a cartman and it was his duty daily to take out rolley loads of bottled stuff &c., some of which had been ordered, the remainder being for sale. He had to collect moneys and render an account to Mr Wilkinson upon his return from each journey On Easter Monday, the 24th April, he was sent out with a load of 80 doz. Smila and pop, three boxes of cigarettes and other articles. He returned on the afternoon, at least his horse was stabled in the afternoon, and as the accused did not put in an appearance Mr Wilkinson sent round to his house in order to ascertain the reason. His wife informed the messenger that that her husband had disappeared and that she did not know where he was. She handed over his receipt book, which contained entries shewing that the accused had received payment of certain accounts and had not handed them over to his employer. The prisoner had absconded and was away four and a half months. He returned to his own home where he was arrested on the 17th inst. Formal evidence was given as to the payment of certain accounts to the accused, who had handed the money over. Det. Scougal said he apprehended the accused, who was hiding under the stairs of his house. Prisoner pleaded guilty and expressed his sorrow, offering to refund the money if he was given a chance. Mr Wilkinson did not press the charge but the Bench could not overlook the case and committed prisoner for 14 days with hard labour.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 15442
Tags: hat moustache criminal crime mugshot cartman policestation prisoner smila northshields
1905

The cargo ship 'Armanistan' at night
Description: Night-time view of the cargo ship ‘Armanistan’ on the berth at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, November 1948 (TWAM ref. 1061/1079). She was launched on 30 November 1948. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 15968
Tags: light sky industry night stairs interesting construction industrial ship darkness
1948

The cargo ship 'Queenmoor' heading on sea trials
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Queenmoor’ on sea trials, 1924 (TWAM ref. 1061/998). She was launched at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields on 8 December 1923. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12128
Tags: sea water vessel shipping southshields rivertyne shipbuilding cargoship johnreadheadsonsltd queenmoor
1924

View of the Warrumbungle Ranges, Coonabarabran (NSW)
Description: Title: View of the Warrumbungle Ranges, Coonabarabran (NSW) Dated: No date Digital ID: 12932_a012_a012X2441000021 Series: NRS 12932 Original Prints of Photographs used in NSW trains Rights: No known copyright restrictions www.records.nsw.gov.au/about-us/rights-and-permissions We'd love to hear from you if you use our photos/documents. Many other photos in our collection are available to view and browse on our website using Photo Investigator.
Owner: NSW State Archives and Records
Views: 5447
Tags: blackandwhite view hills archives newsouthwales bushwalk staterecordsnsw coonabarabrannsw
2004

Launch of the cargo ship ‘Empire Clough’
Description: Launch of the cargo ship ‘Empire Clough’ at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 2 April 1942 (TWAM ref. 1061/1042). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 28685
Tags: vessel ww2 launch shipyard southshields slipway secondworldwar rivertyne shipbuilding cargoship
1942

a1887028h
Description: H.3. A large erratic resting on gneiss Cape Denison area Call Number: ON 144 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5985
Tags: stereograph antarcticexpedition
1911

a1887038h
Description: H.29. Snow petrels mated at nest. Cape Denison Call Number: ON 144 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 7149
Tags: stereograph antarcticexpedition taxonomy:binomial=pagodromanivea taxonomy:common=snowpetrel
1911

Sarah Dowd, arrested for stealing money
Description: Name: Sarah Dowd Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Arrested on: 9 February 1916 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-266-Sarah Dowd For an image of her accomplice Christina Haggerty see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/23045026302/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 9 February 1916 reports: “ALLEGED THEFT IN BOROUGH ROAD. Today at North Shields … Sarah Dowd (32), 8½ Norfolk Street, and Christina Haggerty (36), Brannen’s Lodging House, South Shields, were charged with stealing on the 8th inst. a purse containing £5 in Treasury notes and 4s 6d in money, from a foreign seaman. Sergt. Spindler said that at 9.30pm he was on duty in the Borough Road, and the prosecutor had hold of the two women, whom he accused of robbing him of his purse, with £5 in Treasury notes, 4s 6d in money and some coins. While the prosecutor held the women, witness looked round on the ground with the help of his flash-lamp, and found the purse open, 4s 6d in silver and some coins but not the Treasury notes. Accused were remanded for eight days.” The Shields Daily News for 11 February 1916 reports: “ALLEGED THEFT FROM THE PERSON. Sarah Dowd (32) of 8½ Norfolk Street, and Christina Haggerty of Brannen’s Lodging House, South Shields, were brought up on remand at North Shields roday, charged with having stolen from the person of Dionesios Macres, a purse, valued a 6d, containing five £1 Treasury notes, 4s 6d in silver and nine coins, while in Borough Road, about 9.25pm on the 8th inst. The Chief Constable (Mr J.H. Huish) said the prosecutor had gone to sea and the charge was withdrawn.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 20420
Tags: portrait woman sad criminal crime mugshot ww1 theft policestation firstworldwar
1916

James Crone, labourer, arrested for stealing clothes
Description: Name: James Crone Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 29 August 1906 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-93-James Crone For an image of his accomplice, Sarah Bankoff see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/16988672330/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 5 September 1906 reports: "Sarah Bankoff (26), a married woman, belonging to South Shields and James Crone (23), labourer, 60 Bertram Street, South Shields, were each committed to prison for one month in the second division for stealing clothes etc, from three dwelling houses between the 30th of July and 20th of August. The prisoners lived together and decamped with the goods, which they subsequently pledged." These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12067
Tags: moustache criminal crime cap mugshot theft southshields policestation stealing prisoner
1906

James George Chase, munitions worker, arrested for obtaining money by false pretences
Description: Name: James G. Chase Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Arrested on: 22 January 1916 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-264-James G Chase The Shields Daily News for 28 January 1916 reports: “FALSE PRETENCES CASE AT NORTH SHIELDS. At North Shields today, James George Chase (23), a munition worker, residing at Lynn Villa, Billy Mill, was brought up on remand, charged with having unlawfully obtained by false pretences, from Joseph Emery, the sum of £20, with intent to cheat and defraud, between Dec. 13th and Jan. 17th. Joseph Emery stated in May last he became acquainted with the defendant. During the latter part of that month the defendant told him something about an estate in Australia, valued at £70,000. About the 17th December, witness received a letter, which was supposed to have come from a detective at Scotland Yard, and his wife received a wire for £10 to be sent to the defendant in London, and witness sent it. On the 10th inst. the defendant returned from London and handed witness a sealed envelope. He opened it and found it contained two documents. After reading them, defendant asked is he was satisfied and he said it seemed to be alright. On the 17th inst. the defendant asked for another £10 and witness gave it to him. On the 21st inst. witness communicated with the police and on the 22nd obtained a warrant for the defendant’s arrest. Det. Radcliffe stated that on the 22nd inst. he arrested the defendant in Saville Street, and brought him to the Central Police Station. He read the warrant over and defendant replied “I can’t say anything until I have seen Mr Emery”. Afterwards he said there was no truth in the statement regarding the fortune. When charged this morning he replied “I admit everything: I know I have done wrong”. Defendant pleaded guilty and had nothing to say. Mr Emery, recalled, said he had not believed half the defendant’s statements from the first. The defendant had said that a young man had to go with him to Australia as a bodyguard to bring the money back. The defendant was committed to prison for one month in the second division.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 33558
Tags: portrait england man money face shirt mark grain deception property
1916

The cargo ship 'Min' on sea trials
Description: View of the cargo ship 'Min' on sea trials, 1922 (TWAM ref. 1061/997). She was launched at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons, South Shields on 25 May 1922. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 16283
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd cargoship smoke seatrials sea water vessel min
1922

'Shahristan' on sea trials
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Shahristan’ on sea trials, 1938 (TWAM ref. 1061/1029). She was built at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 16115
Tags: roof sea chimney sky cloud abstract blur industry window water
1938

'Trojan Prince' nearing completion
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Trojan Prince’ on the berth at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 1896 (TWAM ref. 1061/974). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 15181
Tags: england sky blur industry boat wire cabin industrial ship post
1896

Launch of the cargo ship 'Baron Belhaven'
Description: View of the cargo ship Baron Belhaven entering the River Tyne after launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 2 November 1959 (TWAM ref. 1061/1121). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 14321
Tags: sky cloud abstract blur building industry water standing river vent
1959

Jane Agnes Duffy, arrested for theft
Description: Name: Jane A. V. Duffy Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 9 December 1914 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-250-Jane A V Duffy The Shields Daily News for 9 December 1914 reports: “A YOUNG WOMAN IN TROUBLE. Today at North Shields, Jane Agnes Duffy (19), 61 Westcott Road, South Shields, was charged with stealing a gold brooch, a gold ring, and a silk blouse value £1 12s 6d, the property of Barbara Cunningham, Trevor Terrace, on the 27th inst. The prosecutrix said that at 18.15 pm on the 26th ult. she was in Bedford Street, when the accused was brought to her and she asked if witness could give her board and lodgings. She stated that she had just got work at a drapers and would pay her 15s a week for board and lodgings. Witness took her home. Next morning the defendant got up at 9 o’clock, and while witness was cleaning the step the defendant ran out by the back, and witness missed the articles mentioned. Detective Sweeney of Wallsend said he arrested the accused on another charge on the 28th ult. and found the items mentioned in her possession. Detective-Sergt. Hall deposed to recovering the property from the last witness and receiving the accused into custody after she had been dealt with by the magistrates at Wallsend. The mother of the girl told the magistrates that her daughter had no reason to steal, having a good home and having been well brought up, but she was rather weak in mind and had given her some trouble. The clerk enquired why the magistrates at Wallsend had bound her over for 12 months under probation. Detective Sweeney said that the mother and the solicitor representing her promised to put her into a home. Mrs Duffy said that Father Turner had promised to look after her and put her into a home for feeble-minded at Carlisle and an arrangement was made that she would go into the Harton Workhouse in the meanwhile. The girl, however, objected to going to the workhouse and wanted to go home. The case was remanded for a day.” The Shields Daily News for 17 December 1914 reports: “SOUTH SHIELDS GIRL BOUND OVER. The remanded charge against Jane Agnes Duffy (19), Westcott Terrace, South Shields of stealing a gold brooch, a keeper ring and a blouse, valued in all at £1 12s 6d, the property of Barbara Cunningham, Trevor Terrace, North Shields, came up for hearing this morning. The case has several times been adjourned in order that a place should be found for the girl in a home. The Bench on one occasion expressed their opinion that they did not think she had been properly looked after at home. This morning, the Bench, after due consideration of the case and circumstances, decided to bind the girl over for twelve months in the mother’s surety of 40s, to be of good behaviour.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 32732
Tags: shadow portrait eye face hat scarf mouth hair nose head
1914

John W. Hoole alias Thomas McNeish, arrested for stealing money
Description: Name: John W. Hoole alias Thomas McNeish Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 6 July 1915 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-260-John W Hoole AKA Thomas McNeish The Shields Daily News for 15 July 1915 reports: “PLATER’S THEFT FROM A WOMAN’S PURSE IN A NORTH SHIELDS FISH SHOP. John Wm. Hoole (23), plater, was charged on remand at North Shields yesterday with having stolen, on the 5th inst. the sum of 10s 6d, belonging to Mrs Jennie Young. Prosecutrix, the wife of Joseph Young, residing in Roseberry Avenue, Preston, said about 9pm on the 5th inst. she went into the fish shop at the corner of Borough Road and Gardner Street and sat down on a seat. She had her purse in her hand and it contained at that time 10s 6d in silver, including a half-crown and three two shilling pieces. Shortly afterwards the accused and two soldiers came in and sat down on the same form. Witness got up and left but as soon as she got to the door she remembered she had left her purse lying on the seat. She went back and saw the accused pick her purse up and hand it to a solider to give to her. When she received the purse she found it was open and the money was missing. The soldier sent for a policeman and the accused was taken into custody. Pte. Gilbert of the 2nd Dragoon Guards, at present attached to the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment. Said he had known accused for about a week prior to the 5th inst. On that night accused joined witness and another soldier in a public house. He said he had no money and he had to borrow 1s from a woman before he could stand the “drinks”. Afterwards he asked them to go to the fish and chip shop. The woman who lost her purse was sitting nearest to the accused. After the woman went out and came back accused picked up the purse and asked witness to give it to the woman. Witness did so and as the woman was moving away accused handed witness a 2s piece, saying “Here’s 2s for you and your mate to get a drink”. Witness asked him where he got the money and accused replied “You never know what money you’ve got”. When the woman complained that the money had been stolen from her purse witness sent for the police so that the matter might be cleared up. Det. Graham deposed to taking the accused into custody. As he went towards accused he heard a jingle of money and afterwards found two 2s pieces on the floor near where he was sitting. He recovered 5s from the accused in addition and also the 2s from the witness Gilbert. Accused pleaded not guilty. Asked to account for the 5s which was found upon him, when he told the soldiers that he had no money at all earlier in the night, accused said he had kept quiet about that money because he needed it to get to Southampton. He had, he said, been working at Palmer’s where he earned £4 per week. The Bench found the case clearly established and a previous conviction being proved against him at the Moot Hall, Newcastle, where he was sent to gaol for six months for the theft of a watch and jewellery, they committed him to prison for one month”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 23270
Tags: portrait shirt interesting tie criminal crime cap angry mugshot unusual
1915

George Fay, soldier, arrested for stealing
Description: Name: George Fay Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 9 December 1915 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-262-George Fay The Shields Daily News for 13 December 1915 reports: “CHARGES AGAINST A SOLDIER AT TYNEMOUTH. George Fay (29), a soldier, was charged at North Shields today with being an absentee from the 4th Battalion Sherwood Foresters, while stationed at the Bath Hotel, Tynemouth, on the 23rd ult. He was further charged with having stolen on the same day from a dwelling house situated at 4 Northumberland Terrace, six Treasury notes, valued at £5 10s, the property of Capt. Kenneth Woolhouse. The first charge was not proceeded with. Captain Woolhouse, of the same regiment, said that the defendant was his servant. On the 22nd ult. he changed his uniform and the notes were left in his pocket book, which was in his tunic. The defendant was reported absent the next day and witness looked in his book and found the notes had been stolen. PC Magee said that the defendant came to the police station and asked to be detained as he was an absentee. He also stated that he had stolen some money. When charged he replied “It’s quite right”. Defendant pleaded guilty and said his health made him do it and he did not get his pay regular. The defendant, who had been bound over at Whitley for larceny of a cheque, was sent to prison for six weeks with hard labour”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 17718
Tags: portrait man hat soldier army interesting criminal crime mugshot unusual
1915

Identified! [Woman seated with a psychograph, a phrenology machine, on her head] (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013006616&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. [Woman seated with a psychograph, a phrenology machine, on her head] [1931] 1 negative : glass ; 4 x 5 in. or smaller Notes: Title information from Flickr Commons Project, 2015. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.36580 Call Number: LC-H2- B-4880
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 121067
Tags: libraryofcongress phrenology mysterysolved xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 robotphrenologist dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnphec36580
1931

Identified! [Daniel W. Kessler of the National Bureau of Standards with device used to test slabs of marble over long periods of time] ? (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013015072&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. [Daniel W. Kessler of the National Bureau of Standards with device used to test slabs of marble over long periods of time] [1925 June 9] 1 negative : glass ; 4 x 5 in. or smaller Notes: Tile from Flickr Commons Project, 2015; and based on National Photo Company Collection negative LC-F81-36073. Date based on date of negatives in same range and negative in National Photo Company Collection. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.45047 Call Number: LC-H234- A-9742
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 18314
Tags: stone testing libraryofcongress mysterysolved xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 bureauofstandards danielwkessler dwkessler apparatususedformakinglongperiodscrubbingtestsonmarble dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnphec45047
1925

Lawrence Armstrong alias Hanby, soldier, arrested for theft
Description: Name: Lawrence Armstrong alias Hanby Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 30 September 1915 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-262-Lawrence Armstrong AKA Hanby The Shields Daily News for 8 October 1915 reports: “A SOLDIER COMMITTED FOR THEFT. Today at North Shields, Laurence Armstrong (21) of the 1st Northumberland Fusiliers was charged with having stolen on Sept. 20th a box of cigarettes valued at 5s from the shop of Henry Nicholson, tobacconist, Saville Street. An assistant of the prosecutor’s said she was serving a customer on the above date, when accused entered the shop, picked up a box of cigarettes and went away. Defendant was further charged with having stolen a dress ring, valued at £1, the property of Valone Harrison, conductress of a tramcar on Sept. 14th. The prosecutrix said the accused boarded a car on which she was following her employment. He asked to look at her ring. She took it off her finger and showed it to him. Witness then went to collect some fares and while she was thus engaged the accused got off the car. Detective Mason said that when accused was arrested on the previous charge a pawn ticket relating to the ring was found in his possession. Accused pleaded guilty and said he was very sorry. He had been seven months at the front and had been gassed. He was committed to prison for 14 days on each charge”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 36347
Tags: portrait eye face hat shop emblem soldier army nose interesting
1915

Queen Victoria Buildings, looking down George St, n.d. / unknown photographer
Description: Call no.: Government Printing Office 1 - 16633 Format: glass negative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5961
Tags: trams statelibraryofnewsouthwales
1920

Jewish Quarter, Jerusalem (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Jewish Quarter, Jerusalem [1918 Jan. and 1929 Aug.] (date created or published later by Bain) 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title and dates from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25934 Call Number: LC-B2- 4449-13
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 18945
Tags: street blackandwhite bw white news black building brick stone blackwhite
1918

bcp_05155r
Description: Group in boat. The ladies were teachers at Auburn School and were on annual holidays - Terrigal, NSW Call Number: At Work and Play - 05155 Format: photograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 9858
Tags: holidays lakes boating rowing teachers terrigal
1926

Refurbishing tug boats at Bill Quay
Description: A view of former US Army tugs being refurbished at the ship-repair yard of RB Harrison and Son at Bill Quay, 3 August 1950 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/5192B). The tug boats had been acquired by France Fenwick and were being refurbished before being sent to the River Wear as Ryhope, Cornhill and Grangetown. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected] To purchase a hi-res copy please email [email protected] quoting the title and reference number.
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12554
Tags: door roof chimney sky abstract building industry window glass grass
1950

hood_06330r
Description: Crowds on the wharf farewell passengers on the P&O Moldavia with streamers, Pyrmont The sight of an overseas liner festooned with coloured streamers leaving Pyrmont for distant ports has long gone. These friends and relatives are farewelling passengers on the P&O RMS Moldavia, bound for Britain. The RMS Moldavia was not one of the company's better ships. Built in 1922, it was upgraded with a false second funnel in early 1928 to give it the appearance of a liner, but it still steamed at a miserly 16 knots. This no doubt gave the 850 passengers plenty of time to enjoy the vessel's library of 400 books. Call Number: Home and Away - 6330 Format: glass photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 7598
Tags: pyrmont departures moldavia statelibraryofnsw passengerships samhood pormsmoldavia
1928

Labourers' Cottages
Description: Quite a bit different from the temporary "Labourer's Hut" we saw from Friday's shot, this Mason image is labelled simply "Labourers' Cottages". Do we think there's enough to go-on to determine where the shot was taken? Contributor: Thomas H. Mason & Sons photographers Collection: Mason Photographic Collection Date: c.1890-1910 NLI Ref: M57/31 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 19492
Tags: masonphotographiccollection thomasholmesmason nationallibraryofireland cottage thomashmasonsons masonsons labourerscottages landacts unknownlocation land
1900

Presentation at the launch of 'Armanistan'
Description: A shipyard worker presenting flowers to the sponsor of the cargo ship ‘Armanistan’ at her launch from the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 30 November 1948 (TWAM ref. 1061/1079). The task was sometimes given to the oldest or youngest worker at the yard. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 14648
Tags: flowers roof shadow sky abstract flower men industry window smile
1948

Mrs. E.R. Stettitinus (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Mrs. E.R. Stettitinus [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25576 Call Number: LC-B2- 4379-13a
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 10905
Tags: hat feathers libraryofcongress carrington featheredhats xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 stettinius judithcarrington dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain25576 edwardrileystettinius
1915

a9600008h
Description: Stereographs taken during a tour of the Southern Goldfields, New South Wales and Victoria, May-June 1860 / attributed to Edward Wolstenholme Ward Call Number: PXB 598 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 6689
Tags: stereograph goldrush earlyphotography
1860

Engine room of the bulk carrier 'Fernspring'
Description: View inside the engine room of the bulk carrier ‘Fernspring’, May 1967 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/6/50669B). She was launched at the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland on 30 December 1966 and was fitted with a Doxford Engine. This set celebrates the achievements of the famous Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company’s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was known as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its last wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding. By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For many years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth largest output of any shipyard in the world. The Depression affected the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels were launched from 1931 to 1934. However, during those years the company developed a hull design giving greater efficiency and economy in service. During the Second World War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was used by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards between 1942 and 1945. After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to build many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, although it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13003
Tags: industry industrial ship vessel maritime sunderland engineroom bulkcarrier shipbuilding fernspring
1967