These 108,030 images need to be put on the map. Can you help pin their Where?

First World War Patrol boat on sea trials
Description: Photograph of Patrol boat P-31 on sea trials, 1916 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/2/1/3). This vessel was built by John Readhead & Sons, South Shields. Patrol boats were built under the Emergency War Programme to relieve destroyers of patrol and escort work and submarine hunting. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 20000
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd p31 patrolboat firstworldwar seatrials ww1 marine maritime
1916

Bolshevik leaders, Tomsk (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Bolshevik leaders, Tomsk [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28521 Call Number: LC-B2- 4879-13
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3981
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28521 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 signalcorps ekaterinburg russia 1918 76408 bolsheviks communists
1915

Visit of the Channel Fleet to Sunderland, 1895
Description: Laying a memorial stone on the South Pier, Sunderland to commemorate the visit of the Channel Fleet, 12 September 1895 (TWAM ref. 3768/8). This set of images celebrates the 300th Anniversary of the establishment of the Port of Sunderland. The port authority was constituted in 1717 by Act of Parliament, which appointed the River Wear Commissioners to manage and improve the harbour and river. Since then the port has changed beyond recognition with the construction of piers, docks and quays and the dredging of the River Wear to make it wider and deeper. These developments were vital to the coal trade on which the region’s prosperity depended. The improvement of the river was also essential to the success of shipbuilding in Sunderland as well as allied industries such as marine engineering and ship repairing. These images are a reflection of Sunderland’s proud industrial history. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 36854
Tags: portofsunderland sunderland riverwear channelfleet crane victorian hats ceremony pier harbour
1895

Four men modelling hats in Pitt Street
Description: Call number: Home and Away - 1050 Digital ID: hood_01050 Format: glass photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 6905
Tags: statelibraryofnewsouthwales hats
1934

Miles Franklin, 1901
Description: Call number: P1 / 595 Digital ID: a4215094 Format: cabinet photoprint Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 7595
Tags: statelibraryofnewsouthwales hats milesfranklin
1901

ca_20161128_001
Description: Grup, 1939
Owner: Costică Acsinte Archive
Views: 4195
Tags: costicăacsintearchive 20161128 glassplate costicăacsinte ialomita românia rou
1939

Gen. Campbell King (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Gen. Campbell King [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28241 Call Number: LC-B2- 4828-10
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 11553
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28241 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 luxembourg junglinster november 1918 wwi aef signalcorps
1915

Description: Persistent URL: floridamemory.com/items/show/92124 Local call number: COM01280 Title: "The Python" roller coaster at the Busch Gardens amusement park - Tampa Date: ca. 1986 Physical descrip: 1 slide - col. Series Title: Department of Commerce Collection Repository: State Library and Archives of Florida 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL, 32399-0250 USA, Contact: 850.245.6700, [email protected]
Owner: State Library and Archives of Florida
Views: 5919
Tags: florida tampa buschgardens attractions amusement parks amusementrides rollercoasters python
1986

Gemini End
Description: Gemini XII astronauts Jim Lovell and Buzz Aldrin walk to their spacecraft for the last flight in the successful Gemini Program wearing signs on their backs saying "The End". Image Number: KSC-66C-9220 Date: November 11, 1966
Owner: NASA on The Commons
Views: 60269
Tags: geminixii gemini aldrin lovell
1966

Spit, spot, spats, striding strongly!  Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Goff at the races!
Description: Bearers of a name long-associated with horses in Ireland, here we see Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Goff, who appear intent on the business of racing as they stride (I imagine) towards the winners enclosure! I love their "going to the races" dress and their seeming indifference to the obvious photographer taking this shot. What might have been even more interesting would be to see the more exuberant dress of the lady behind Mrs. Goff... Who were they, where was it and when? On the "when?" question, we owe particular thanks to Carol Maddock whose investigations have associated this image with an Irish Independent society entry from January 1914. It confirms that the image was captured shortly after Herbert William Davis-Goff became High Sheriff of Waterford. On the "who?", the peerage resource provided by Niall McAuley tells us that Margaret Aimée Davis-Goff (née Scott) was from a diplomatic family. Davis-Goff seemingly went to war in the months after this image, and became second baronet in the Davis-Goff Baronetcy after his father's death in 1918.... Photographer: A. H. Poole Collection: Poole Photographic Studio, Waterford Date: Catalogue range c.1901-1954. But confirmed as January 1914 NLI Ref: POOLEWP 2592 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 17614
Tags: ahpoole arthurhenripoole glassnegative nationallibraryofireland mrandmrsherbertgoff attheraces binoculars dress hats racing
1914

ca_20161023_000
Description: Cuplu din PerieÈi, în faÈa Studioului Foto Splendid, 1939
Owner: Costică Acsinte Archive
Views: 3526
Tags: costicäacsintearchive 20161023 glassplate ialomita rou românia fotosplendid
1939

Young guests at the launch of the cargo ship 'Empire Crown'
Description: Three young boys attending the launch of 'Empire Crown' at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 16 October 1943 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/537/1). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 34179
Tags: rivertyne southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd shipyard cargoship children shiplaunch maritime boys
1943

Launch of the cargo ship ‘Thursobank’
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Thursobank’ after launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 18 June 1940 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/518/1). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 22213
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd cargoship shipyard shiplaunches workers vessel rivertyne launch
1940

The cargo ship 'Sir David' leaving the River Tyne
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Sir David’ heading on sea trials, 1927 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/485/3). She was built at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 19940
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd cargoship sirdavid sea water vessel shipping maritime
1927

Swedish warship at Newcastle Quay
Description: John Grantham, Lord Mayor of Newcastle on board the visiting Swedish warship Manligheten, 5 June 1937 (TWAM ref. DF.GRA/5/3). These images belong to a series of albums documenting John Grantham’s service to the City of Newcastle upon Tyne as its Sheriff 1924-1925 and its Lord Mayor 1936-1937. John Grantham was born in Blyth in 1877 and became a cinema proprietor in Newcastle. He was elected to the City Council in 1912 and became an alderman in 1932. The albums give us an interesting insight into the duties of Lord Mayor and Sheriff as well as a fascinating picture of the times. 2016 is the 800th anniversary of the creation of Newcastle's Mayoralty and Burgesses. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 14085
Tags: johngrantham lordmayor newcastleupontyne 1930s northeastengland tyneside swedish warship manligheten quayside
1937

Following the pipers!
Description: A victory parade following an election in Ennis in County Clare, seemingly with the Countess Markievicz in the lead wearing a white coat/dress. Finding the date will be easy but finding the location might be interesting - given the blank stone wall is the only distinguishing feature(?) Based on the contributions (past and more recent) on this image, it seems pretty clear the subject is a (victory) parade of Sinn Féin supporters, related to the East Clare by election of July 1917. DeValera won in a near landslide against the IPP candidate - in a precursor of what was to come in the 1918 general election. DeValera can be seen among the crowd - inline with the trunk of one of the right-hand trees, and below a man with a bike. As predicted, a confirmed location has been more elusive, although derangedlemur offers a solid candidate for that ballot on Cusack Rd (then Gaol Rd).... Photographer: Brendan Keogh Collection: Keogh Photographic Collection Date: c.1916 - 1920. But almost certainly July 1917. NLI Ref: Ke 130 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 20817
Tags: brendankeogh nationallibraryofireland countessmarkievicz election ennis victoryparade pipers countyclare byelection 1917
1917

The Waterford Cats?
Description: A team in Waterford with Kilkenny-like vertical stripes may not have been too popular in inter-county circles - but these lads look like they could cope with the slagging! A fine Poole shot of a hurling team to remind us that yet another All Ireland season is in full swing. With thanks to all of the contributions today, in particular Niall McAuley, swordscookie, j.coffey78, and guliolopez, we know that the team pictured (or at least most of them) challenged for the 1916 Waterford County Hurling Final around the time of this photo. They forced a replay with Ferrybank GAA club. But lost out to Ferrybank in the end 5-0 to 3-3. guliolopez helpfully links us to a write up of the replayed final which lists the team as:  T King (goal), J Hogan, L Cantwell, R Cantwell, P Durley, T Smyth, W Walsh, J Power, M Fitzpatrick, M Baldwin, P Purcell, W Sullivan, T McCormack, J Geary, R McKenna A player who didn't make the replay (D Quinn) may also be captured here. It's proposed that, as perhaps the person who commissioned the photo, J(ohn?) Hogan could be the captain pictured.... Photographer: A. H. Poole Collection: Poole Photographic Studio, Waterford Date:ca. 14 October 1916 NLI Ref: POOLEWP 2692 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 22782
Tags: ahpoole arthurhenripoole glassnegative nationallibraryofireland hurlingteam waterford jerseys kilkenny rivals allirelandchampionships
1916

Prince Aug. Wilhelm & wife (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Prince Aug. Wilhelm & wife [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27652 Call Number: LC-B2- 4729-2
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 9371
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27652 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 postcard postkarte sellekuntzeniederastroth photographers potsdam
1915

Eug. Berton (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Eug. Berton [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27649 Call Number: LC-B2- 4727-13
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 2526
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27649 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 fourthlibertyloancampaign
1915

Delamios (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Delamios [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27636 Call Number: LC-B2- 4725-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 8174
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27636 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 delaunois opera mezzosoprano raymondedelaunois operasingers mezzosopranooperasingers mezzosopranos
1915

Mauretania on the River Tyne shortly after launch
Description: Bow view of the ocean liner 'Mauretania' on the River Tyne after her launch at the Wallsend yard of Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson, 20 September 1906 (TWAM ref. ds.swh/5/3/4/2/B544). The 'Mauretania' was one of the most famous ships ever built on Tyneside. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected] To purchase a hi-res copy please email [email protected] quoting the title and reference number.
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 19714
Tags: mauretania vessel historic important shiplaunch ships shipbuilding tyneandwear rivertyne northeastengland
1906

British kite balloon (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. British kite balloon [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27486 Call Number: LC-B2- 4695-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 21872
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27486 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 gosnay france 1918 may wwi royalflyingcorps caquot
1915

Women students, Cowra Experiment Farm 1919
Description: Call Number: Slides 113 Format: lantern slides ; 8.5 x 8.5 cm. Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 7851
Tags: statelibrarynsw
1919

Women students, Cowra Experiment Farm 1919
Description: Call Number: Slides 113 Format: lantern slides ; 8.5 x 8.5 cm. Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of NSW
Views: 11917
Tags: statelibrarynsw
1919

Toll House Sydney Harbour Bridge
Description: Title: Toll House Sydney Harbour Bridge Dated: 08/07/1932 Digital ID: 12685_a007_a00704_8724000173R Series: NRS 12685 Sydney Harbour Bridge Photographic Albums Rights: No known copyright restrictions www.records.nsw.gov.au/about-us/rights-and-permissions We'd love to hear from you if you use our photos/documents. Many other photos in our collection are available to view and browse on our website.
Owner: MHNSW - State Archives Collection
Views: 9059
Tags: archives staterecordsnsw newsouthwales blackandwhite sydneyharbourbridge
1932

Mauretania sliding down the slipway
Description: Bow view of the 'Mauretania' sliding down the slipway during her launch at the Wallsend yard of Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson, 20 September 1906 (TWAM ref. ds.swh/5/3/4/2/B389). The 'Mauretania' was one of the most famous ships ever built on Tyneside. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected] To purchase a hi-res copy please email [email protected] quoting the title and reference number.
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 15169
Tags: mauretania vessel historic important shiplaunch ships shipbuilding tyneandwear rivertyne northeastengland
1906

J.B. Wells (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. J.B. Wells [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27378 Call Number: LC-B2- 4674-8
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 8644
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27378 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 johnbarneswells
1915

The peacemakers: George Gavan Duffy, Erskine Childers, Robert Barton and Arthur Griffith in a group
Description: From buildings, monuments and bridges to bridge builders today. Some of the negotiating team sent to London to broker peace with the British Government. That date looks all wrong? The date was indeed wrong! Arthur Griffith had passed away by the stated date (9 December 1922). Late in the day Niall McAuley seems to have solved the problem by linking us to the a site which states that the correct date is December 1921. The photo was more than likely taken during the return trip from London - after signing the Anglo Irish Treaty on 6 December 1921. Thank you for all the contributions. Photographer: W. D. Hogan Collection: Hogan Wilson Collection Date: December 1921 NLI Ref.: HOG3 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 39540
Tags: hoganwilsoncollection nationallibraryofireland georgegavanduffy erskinechilders robertbarton arthurgriffith treaty dublin williamdavidhogan wdhogan
1921

Prince Tokugawa (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Prince Tokugawa [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27283 Call Number: LC-B2- 4660-12
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 2527
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27283 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 tokugawaiesato
1915

Edward Fenn, bobbin winder, convicted of stealing clothes
Description: Edward Fenn was convicted of stealing 'wearing apparel' on 31 March 1873 and served 1 month with hard labour. Age (on discharge): 15 Height: 5’ 1” Hair: Brown Eyes: Hazel Place of Birth: Woolwich Status: Single Occupation: Bobbin winder These photographs are of convicted criminals in Newcastle between 1871 - 1873. Reference:TWAS: PR.NC/6/1/1176 (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 30732
Tags: poverty wood boy portrait blur face wall shirt youth scarf
1873

Young girl in high collared white blouse
Description: Titled in full as "young girl in high collared white blouse, with long hair suggesting informality", this Mason Collection image is indeed a little more casual and candid than the studio formality we tend to see in these collections. A more personal image from the Mason collection perhaps? The community suggests that, if indeed this is perhaps (obviously unconfirmed) a family member, that it could be Sarah Mason, who would have been in late teens or early 20s during the catalogue range ascribed to this image.... Contributor: Thomas H. Mason & Sons photographers Collection: Mason Photographic Collection Date: 1890-1910 NLI Ref: M57/10 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 59200
Tags: thomashmason masonsons masonphotographiccollection nationallibraryofireland striking blouse longhair sarahmason
1900

Gun on railway truck mounting at the Elswick Works
Description: View of a 9.2 inch gun on railway truck mounting at the Elswick Works, c1917 (TWAM ref. DS.VA/9/PH/15/2). ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 23416
Tags: roof sky building industry window glass hat wheel metal wall
1917