Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.
Timber became one of the biggest industries, which was mostly pine timber and was drawn to the rafting reserve by bullock team. In the early days the wheels of the wagons were not made by a wheelwright but were blocks sawn from logs which were known as block wheels. All the pine logs were rolled in the river and rafted to their destination, this was at times rather an unpleasant job as owing to the two shallow places mentioned earlier the men had to turn out, in the winter, at night to catch the spring tide, which only occurred at night time at new moon. Much of the pine timber went to a small saw mill at a place known as Tygum on the Logan River opposite to the Waterford Railway Station which was owned by the late Lahey Bros. where they made their first start in the timber business and later built a saw mill at Canungra.
It was in the year of 1886 when the first Canungra Saw Mill was opened by the Lahey Bros. Another Saw Mill owned by the late Jesse Daniels at Cedar Creek commenced working at the same time and the year of 1896 was removed to Canungra.
History of the Logan & Albert Areas
by Roger Hart 1959
A good bullock was a valuable resource. Two good leading bullocks were essential, as well as two bullocks at the rear known as the polers.
Mustering and yoking 24 bullocks could take up to two hours. Each bullock had a name and recognized it when spoken to.
Bullock teams hauled logs to a waterway, or in the steep country to chutes, where the logs could be launched.