View of the second building of the theater, built 1820-1822 after the designs of William Strickland, Pedestrians walk on the sidewalk and read playbills on display. Also shows partial views of neighboring buildings, including Hart's Building owned by prominent Jewish publisher and philanthropist, Abraham Hart, erected 1848 (537-539 Chestnut). A gas light with a shade illustrated with a dancer adorns the Melodeon (611-613 Chestnut) and signage advertising D. C. Baxter, engraver on wood, is partially visible on Hart's Building. Theater razed 1856.
Owner: Library Company of Philadelphia
Source: Flickr Commons