Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.
Ambulance operations were conducted from a small shop in Flinders Street opposite the Palace Hotel.
These premises were leased for a term of six months. Superintendent King moved into the building on 4 January 1901. One of the honorary members was put on paid duty for a period of eleven days at six shillings per day to assist.
Being unable to procure locally an assistant holding a first aid certificate, it was decided that the Brisbane Centre be requested to send up a qualified officer for appointment to the permanent staff.
Honorary Bearer T.W. McIntyre proceeded to Townsville on the ‘S.S. Peregrine’ on 5 January 1901. He was to meet his own expenses and commence duty in Townsville at a salary of eight shillings per day.
In July 1901, the Committee purchased a property suitable for Brigade requirements at the corner of Sturt and Stanley Streets for the sum of £1,250 and a further £100 was expended in building a plant room and stable.
By 1904, the work had increased to such an extent as to make more room absolutely necessary to enable the Brigade to function efficiently. On 12 July of that year, the Committee resolved to build a Centre that would meet the requirements of the town for Ambulance work for many years. Tenders
were invited for the erection of a new brick Centre building on the site of the existing quarters. The successful tenderer was Mr S.A. Anderson, the contract price being £2,059. The foundation stone was laid on 28 September by Mr J. Johnson, the first life member of the Brigade in Townsville, in the
presence of 100 people.