Ambulance station at Mount Isa, 1939

Download this image

Love this? Please support us and...

More from this collection

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: Queensland, Mount Isa, Australia

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: 01 January 1939

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Creator: Unidentified.

Location: Mount Isa, Queensland.

Description: The Mt. Isa QATB centre with its modern transport cars. (Description supplied with photograph.)

View the original image at the State Library of Queensland:

Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection:


Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 370
queensland ambulance transport qatb automobile mount isa state library old photographs collection housestation trees

Add Tags
  • profile


    • 26/May/2023 08:10:25

    The Mount Isa Ambulance was established in 1924 by Mr W.E.A. (Archie) Jones. The service was known as the Mount Isa Ambulance Transport Brigade was not at that time affiliated with the Queensland Ambulance Transport Brigade (QATB). The The ambulance building was an iron shed located near the site of the present premises. There was just sufficient room for Superintendent Jones to camp because the shed had to serve for dressings and casualties, and the lean-to beside it provided the ambulance vehicle bay. The Centre acquired its first car in 1925. As there was no Hospital in Mount Isa, all hospital cases had to be taken to Cloncurry. Prior to the purchase of its own vehicle, the Centre had managed by hiring a car, truck or anything available, from a local resident and transporting the patient to Duchess. It was a proud day when, in December 1930, the new timber building was officially opened. Although unpainted, it was considered at that time to be one of the best buildings in the district. It had a septic system and running water (unlike many homes in Mount Isa at that time) but at that stage did not have electric power. During the 1939-40 financial year, some extensions were made to the building and a permanent bearer was appointed to assist the Superintendent. Mr Jones, therefore, had operated a one-man centre for 15 years. Source: