Queensland Ambulance and Transport Board (QATB) sub-centre, Wowan, 1918

Download this image

Love this? Please support us and...

More from this collection

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: Queensland, Banana, Australia

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: 01 January 1918

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Creator: Unidentified.

Location: Wowan, Queensland.

Description: Two story ambulance station with it's horse driven ambulance.

View the original image at the State Library of Queensland: hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/149640

Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: www.slq.qld.gov.au/research-collections


Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 365
queensland ambulance transport qatb automobile wowan horses horsedrawn vehicles stations state library old photographs collection wooden building

Add Tags
  • profile


    • 25/May/2023 04:01:58

    In January 1917, in response to a request from the residents of Wowan and district H. Wanchap (Chairperson), G.F. Smith (Hon Treasurer) and Superintendent T.W. Dufill of the Mount Morgan Centre attended a public meeting in Wowan, and it was unanimously decided to open an Honorary Centre in the town. Honorary Bearer James Arneil was placed in charge and the Mount Morgan Committee decided to place a horse and wagon there for service. The residents soon felt the usefulness of the Brigade in their midst, and it was decided in October 1917 to create a Sub-Centre at Wowan with a permanent Officer. Bearer W.G. Nash of Mount Morgan was appointed Officer-in-Charge with the rank of Senior Bearer. In the 1918 floods, water was a foot deep in the tent. In the same year, the pneumonic influenza epidemic swept through the district. Mrs Nash was a fully qualified Nursing Sister and was placed in charge of the emergency hospital which was established in the public hall. Patients were cared for there until they could be moved the 32 miles to the Mount Morgan Hospital. The humpy-like structure that served the ambulance for 12 months was replaced by a two-story wooden building that provided accommodation upstairs with the ground section being devoted entirely to Ambulance Services. By 1919, the Sub-Centre was named Dawson Valley Sub-Centre and in that year the Mount Morgan Committee decided to open another Sub-Centre at Banana with Senior Bearer Alfred Mearing in charge. Banana Centre gained self-government on 1 April 1921. Source: www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/docs/history/Wowan.pdf