Tully ambulance building and vehicles, 1952

Download this image

Love this? Please support us and...

More from this collection

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: Queensland, Cassowary Coast, Australia

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: 01 January 1952

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Creator: Unidentified.

Location: Tully, Queensland.

Description: Tully QATB centre, with three ambulance vehicles parked outside the high-set weatherboard house. Of the vehicles, two are sedans and one is a panel van probably used to transport patients.

View the original image at the State Library of Queensland: hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/191940

Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: www.slq.qld.gov.au/research-collections


Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 691
queensland ambulance transport qatb automobile building tully cars trees

Add Tags
  • profile


    • 25/May/2023 03:16:37

    In 1923 the Innisfail Centre opened an Honorary Centre at Banyan (Tully), and on 6 January 1925, a Sub-Centre was established at the Tully Central Mill in a hut supplied by the Mill authorities. The first Officer-in-Charge was Mr A.J. Wingate who held the rank of Deputy Superintendent. The plant consisted of one collapsible stretcher. As time went on the local Ambulance Advisory Committee thought it was necessary to increase the staff and Mr W.H. Davey, Ambulance Officer of the Railway Department, was appointed. The matter of a new building and quarters had been under consideration for some 15 months, and plans were submitted to the Department of Public Works for approval. In February 1926, a plan with estimates was received from the Minister for Public Works, for the erection of a building in Bryant Street. The estimated cost was £2,800, plus £130 for the erection of a washhouse if required. The estimated cost prepared by local contractors ranged between £1,100 and £1,300 for the same building. Through the generosity of the residents of the Cardwell Shire sufficient funds were raised to erect new premises by June 1927. In 1959 the Committee decided to erect new premises at the corner of Watkins and Plumb Streets. Tenders were invited and the tender accepted was that of W.E. and S.J. Sorensen for £13,661. Upon completion, the Centre building was officially opened by Mr Hugh Miller, ME President of the QATB State Executive Committee on 10 July 1960. Source: www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/docs/history/Tully-Silkwood.pdf