Mount Isa, Queensland.
Mount Isa Mines Limited, community of operations and referred to as Mineside. The gazetted town of Mount Isa is situated accross the Leichhardt River on the other side of the hill with the lead stack and Urquhart head frame. In the foreground the intersection of School Road, Oriel Crescent, Hill Road and Jarrah Street. Most of these buildings were built between 1928 and 1931, during a period of optimistic expansion brought about by the infusion of overseas finance into Mount Isa Mines, firstly by Russo-Asiatic and then by ASARCO.
View the original image at the State Library of Queensland: onesearch.slq.qld.gov.au/permalink/61SLQ_INST/dls06p/alma...
Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: www.slq.qld.gov.au/research-collections
You are free to use this image without permission. Please attribute State Library of Queensland.
Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons
In the lower right corner is "Isa Mine State School", a State School, but only MIM employees children were allowed to attend. The lower left complex was Mount Isa Mines private hospital for employees only. That's another long story.
Mount Isa Mines’ historic Urquhart Shaft and Headframe holds a special place in Mount Isa’s iconic skyline and is acknowledged as a significant piece of Queensland’s European heritage. Originally named No. 1 Ore Shaft, the infrastructure was built between 1929 and 1931 to aid in the commencement of zinc-lead production at Mount Isa Mines, hoisting its first ore in 1931. At the time, the hilltop site for the shaft and headframe was selected as it was just outside the 'known' ore-bearing regions of the zinc-lead mine and was in an ideal location to feed into the mill site and smelting workings. Today, the Urquhart Shaft Headframe, which still sits hillside, is a community landmark and a symbol of Mount Isa Mines and is one of five Queensland European heritage-listed assets originally built by the company. The Urquhart Headframe, which used an American A-frame rather than the usual four power frames of the period, was considered innovative at the time. Like much of Mount Isa Mines' early infrastructure, the Urquhart Shaft was named in honour of one of the key players in the company’s almost 100-year history. Originally from Turkey, John Leslie Urquhart, Chairman of London-based Russo-Asiatic Consolidated Limited, was one of Mount Isa Mines’ early financiers and accepted technical control of the operation while also forming a London board of Mount Isa Mines. He held the position of General Manager and Chairman of Directors from 1927 until his unexpected death in 1933. Urquhart, who also held mining interests across the globe and spoke several languages, is credited with importing the latest technological advancements in mining equipment and employing the finest workers from all over the world. He was responsible for developing the mining community known today as Mineside, which included housing quarters and dormitories, shops, a hospital and recreational facilities for Mount Isa Mines employees. Source: www.glencore.com.au/operations-and-projects/qld-metals/re...