View of the Lalor air shaft with cottages against the Selwyn Ranges, Mount Isa, ca. 1936

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by When

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: Queensland, Mount Isa, Australia

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: Unknown

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Creator: Unidentified.

Location: Mount Isa, Queensland.

Description: Mount Isa is situated next to the Selwyn Ranges on the Leichhardt River. Mount Isa owes its prosperity to the huge Mount Isa Mine, the world's largest single producer of copper, silver, lead and zinc. In 1923 John Campbell Miles found a silver-lead ore outcrop and made a claim for two mining leases. Mount Isa Mines took over operations in 1924. This rich deposit is still producing high volumes of ore and is classed as one of the world's great mines.

View the original image at the State Library of Queensland:

Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection:

You are free to use this image without permission. Please attribute State Library of Queensland.


Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 472
queensland statelibraryofqueensland kalkadoon outbacktowns history mountisa johnoxleylibary john oxley library lawlor shaft vertical residential area houses mine background hills old photograph collection

Add Tags
  • profile


    • 28/Feb/2023 07:47:37

    Looking West from Lawlor Hill with the Lawlor Shaft Headframe, Rio Grande Lode, in the foreground. The housing was supplied by Mount Isa Mines for their employees. This was a high grade production ore body and the ore was transferred underground on 4 Level to the haulage shaft to the surface. It was not an air shaft.

  • profile


    • 16/Apr/2023 00:57:23

    Robert Lawlor held the 2.5 hectares (6.2 acres) Crystal Lease at Top Camp on the new Mount Isa field when the government geologist, EC Saint-Smith, inspected the area in September 1923. This lease was consolidated into Mount Isa Mines holdings by the end of 1924 but Lawlor's Shaft remained the major access point to ores in the Rio Grande lode during the exploration and ore proving phase (1925-9). The headframe and ancillary buildings were featured in a photograph in the Queensland Government Mining Journal, 15 August 1929.[1] In 1930 the Rio Grande mine was described as being served by the three-compartment vertical Lawlor Shaft, from which, at a depth of 54.4 metres (178 ft), a crosscut in the hanging wall cuts through the lode of sulphide ore. Diamond drilling had already proved the persistence of the ore to a depth of 305 metres (1,001 ft).[1] It is not known when the Lawlor Shaft stopped operating but the King's Cross area of the settlement developed nearby and would have constrained mining operations. During the Second World War, it was used for copper extraction. Source: