Power house at the Mount Isa Mine, ca. 1929

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by When

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: Queensland, Mount Isa, Australia

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: Unknown

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Creator: Unidentified.

Location: Mount Isa, Queensland.

View the original image at the State Library of Queensland: onesearch.slq.qld.gov.au/permalink/61SLQ_INST/dls06p/alma...

Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: www.slq.qld.gov.au/research-collections.

You are free to use this image without permission. Please attribute State Library of Queensland.


Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 351
queensland statelibraryofqueensland kalkadoon outbacktowns history mountisa johnoxleylibary john oxley library photographs collection power station mining metal construction

Add Tags
  • profile


    • 28/Feb/2023 08:14:37

    The date is closer to June/July 1930. The electrical switchgear "Switch Room" is near completion. Construction started around September 1929. It was commissioned on 6th December 1930 with one unit. This was the first power station in Australia to use a pulverised coal fuel system and it is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register.

  • profile


    • 17/Apr/2023 08:21:48

    Mount Isa Mine Power Station (1931) From mid-1927 the technical management of Mount Isa Mine was in the hands of the Urquhart group (formerly known as the Russo-Asiatic Consolidated). With their increased capital they set about developing the "most modern mine of the age." The initial powerhouse of Corbould's company was replaced by the steel-framed power station consisting of a coal-fired boiler house and a generator house, designed by JM Callow in 1928 and located at the base of the Mount Isa Mine ridge overlooking the new tent settlement on the bank of the West Leichhardt River. The power station was operational by 1931 and a photograph of it appeared in the Queensland Government Mining Journal on 15 July 1931, which described the Ministerial opening of the new mining plant. It was described as having "twin chimneys rising like black cigars above a roof of dazzling iron".[1] The powerhouse supplied electricity to the town and its houses as well as to the mine until the opening of the Mica Creek power station. In 1951 the powerhouse was extended to supply the new copper smelter. When the Mica Creek power station came into operation supplying electricity, the mine's power station was adapted to supply compressed air for the entire mine operation. It continues to fulfill this function. Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Isa_Mine_Early_Infrastructure