Telegraph and Lookout station at South Passage Moreton Island

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: Queensland, Moreton Bay, Australia

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: 01 January 1930

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Creator: Wiley Studio.

Location: Mount Nebo, Queensland.

Description: 32086, Arthur McLeod acetate negatives and glass plate negatives. House with a lookout tower. Macs and Passes, Jolly's Lookout. (Description supplied with photograph).

View the original image at the State Library of Queensland: hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/0000.

Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: www.slq.qld.gov.au/research-collections.

You are free to use this image without permission. Please attribute State Library of Queensland.

Info:

Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 693
islands lookouts timberhouses moretonisland building tower fence rees historical significance state library queensland south passage many men photo some trees

Add Tags
  • profile

    vesna0103

    • 16/Nov/2021 10:24:00

    Mulgumpin meaning ‘place of sandhills’ is the Aboriginal name for Moreton Island. Mulgumpin lies within the area referred to as Quandamooka, which is commonly defined as the region and indigenous people of Moreton Bay and its islands. The indigenous people of Quandamooka include the Ngugi (Moreton Island), and the Gorenpul and Nunukal clans (North Stradbroke Island). Their connection with the land and sea has a strong spiritual basis and some animals are strongly linked with traditions and customs. Archaeological sites on the island are important to the Ngugi descendants as a reflection of their heritage. Numerous cultural sites have been recorded over the island and include shell and bone scatters, large shell middens and a stone quarry. Captain Cook made the first recorded European sighting of Moreton Bay and Moreton Island in 1770, followed by Matthew Flinders in 1799. The northern end of Moreton Island became the main passage to Brisbane. In 1857, convicts built Queensland’s first lighthouse from local sandstone at Cape Moreton. These days the light is fully automated. A telegraph line was built in the 1890s to service the Cape Moreton lighthouse and link North Stradbroke Island, Kooringal and Bulwer with the lighthouse. In 1952 the line was abandoned, but relics of the old line are still visible along the Bulwer–North Point Road and the Telegraph Road. A further signal light was built at Cowan Cowan in 1874, followed by a lighthouse in 1899. As the Brisbane settlement grew, shipping activity increased, which led to many shipwrecks and much loss of life at sea. Graves of some of those who perished remain on the island today. Queensland’s only whaling station operated at Tangalooma from 1952 to 1962. Remains of the whaling station are now part of the Tangalooma Resort facilities. Source: www.mulgumpincamping.net.au/the-island/culture-history/