Townsville Grammar School is the oldest secondary school in North Queensland, having commenced operations in 1888. The original school building, 'School House' still stands proudly in the school grounds. In 1903 Cyclone Leonta severely damaged the building, causing much of the building to be rebuilt in 1903-1904. The building is now heritage listed. (Information taken from: Townsville Grammar School History, 2012, retrieved 5 April 2012, from www.tgs.qld.edu.au/about_us/history.php
View the original image at the State Library of Queensland: hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/235207
Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: www.slq.qld.gov.au/research-collections
You are free to use this image without permission. Please attribute State Library of Queensland.
Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons
School House at Townsville Grammar School is a heritage-listed school building at Paxton Street, North Ward, City of Townsville, Queensland, Australia. It was designed by Tunbridge & Tunbridge and built from 1903 to 1904. Townsville Grammar School opened in 1888 as a boys' school, but the school has accepted female students since 1893 when Mary Foley applied for admission. There was much debate over the admission of girls, with some parents considering them to be a disruptive influence on the boys' academic studies and that their admission would require expenditure on building modifications. However, others saw the financial benefit of their admission in a time of economic depression, when declining student numbers threatened the loss of their annual Queensland Government endowment. Like other schools in Townsville, Townsville Grammar was commandeered during the Second World War. The RAAF took over the buildings and grounds in February 1942 and its No.3 Fighter Sector HQ, which monitored and identified aircraft in the region and initiated air-raid warnings, were stationed at the school. Aerials and wires were visible on the roofs of the buildings, and huts were set up on the ovals to house members of the WAAAF. Meanwhile, the School moved into premises at Rosslea until January 1945, and did not regain full use of the whole grounds until later that year. Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_House,_Townsville_Grammar_Sc...