Interior view, looking towards the altar. The cathedral was actually built in two stages. The first was finished in 1892 and was only half its current size. The second half was then finished in 1959. Long before the second half was built the cathedral needed repair. In 1902 Cyclone Leonta struck Townsville, devastating several buildings and destroying the cathedral's roof. It was soon restored though and fixed by 1904.
View the original image at the State Library of Queensland: hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/202060
Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: www.slq.qld.gov.au/research-collections
You are free to use this image without permission. Please attribute State Library of Queensland.
Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons
St James Anglican Cathedral, constructed in English Bond red brick with dressed sandstone trim, is located on a terraced site on Melton Hill between the Townsville central business district and Cleveland Bay. The Gothic Revival building was built in two stages, both of which are quite obvious, both in materials and design. The main roof is clad with slate and has a small spire over the nave and transept junction. The lower roof to the side aisles and ambulatory has ribbed metal cladding. The chancel is surrounded by an ambulatory which contains the vestry and a Seaman's Chapel. The north transept has a large organ loft inserted and the roof features exposed trusses with a diagonally boarded ceiling. Cast iron columns with clerestory above separate the side aisles from the nave. The clerestory of the original section of the building contains stained glass windows. Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James%27_Cathedral,_Townsville