Lucan Bridge, a welcome sight!

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by When

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: Unknown

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: Unknown

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Anybody who has competed in the Liffey Descent, in canoe or kayak, will know that the bridge at Lucan is a significant and welcome checkpoint. Taken in 1938, it must be one of O'Dea's very early photographs, and one of those rare ones that don't feature a railway scene!

Photographer: James P. O'Dea

Collection: O’Dea Photograph Collection

Date: 1938

NLI Ref.: ODEA 3/68

You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at


Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 6520
jamespo’dea o’deaphotographiccollection nationallibraryofireland lucan codublin liffey riverliffey singlespan liffeydescent canoes kayaks may urkeys

Add Tags
  • profile


    • 17/Dec/2020 09:48:58

    What a very elegant bridge. From wikipedia - "... The bridge is the largest single span masonry arch bridge in Ireland, and is constructed from ashlar masonry with a span of 33 metres (110 feet) and a rise of 6.7 metres (22 feet). It is framed by iron balustraded parapets made by the Royal Phoenix ironworks of Parkgate Street in Dublin. Designed by George Knowles (architect of Dublin's Fr. Mathew and O'Donovan Rossa Bridges), it was built in 1814 in collaboration with James Savage to replace several previous bridges which were carried away by floods ... " See - And -

  • profile


    • 17/Dec/2020 09:59:20

    Looks like he took many railway photos that day. Note "salmon pass" in weir on right.

  • profile


    • 17/Dec/2020 10:14:38

    Flickr is sometimes amazing! Looking a bit vegetated in 2019 via

  • profile

    John Spooner

    • 17/Dec/2020 10:21:54 The wikipedia article mentions a bridge washed away in 1786. On 13th May of that year Saunder's News-letter announced "Lucan Bridge is now open for carriages, being completed in a moft permanent manner, at the fole expence of Capt. Geo. Vesey". It's not clear whether this was to replace a bridge washed away earlier in the year, or whether it was to be washed away later in the year. Edit: The latter, because despite being "moft permanent" in 1786, in August 1787, in announcing plans for yet another "elegant new bridge", the same paper said: "paffengers who travel the low road are extremely terrified at paffing over the prefent ruinated one in carriages"

  • profile

    National Library of Ireland on The Commons

    • 17/Dec/2020 11:59:11 I sense a new Flickr catchphrase coming on – moft permanent