E R STERLING was originally built in Belfast in 1883 as a four-masted iron ship LORD WOLSELEY. In 1904 it was renamed EVERETT G GRIGGS and modified into a six-masted barquentine. It was sold and renamed E R STERLING in 1910, and was broken up in 1927.
For more information see our blog post on the Sterlings: bit.ly/OsqaFc
This photo is part of the Australian National Maritime Museum’s Samuel J. Hood Studio Collection. Sam Hood (1872-1953) was a Sydney photographer with a passion for ships. His 72-year career spanned the romantic age of sail and two world wars. The photos in the collection were taken mainly in Sydney and Newcastle during the first half of the 20th century.
Object no. 00023150
Owner: Australian National Maritime Museum on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons