View of the active business-lined street containing the "New Jersey" Market terminus, named after its central location to the ferries of New Jersey, the city’s main provider of farm produce. Several marketers and pedestrians, including African Americans, stroll the streets, sidewalks, and under the market shed designed with cupola and clock. Peddlers sell their goods from carts on Front Street. Built in 1822, the market operated until the abolition of street markets in 1859.
Owner: Library Company of Philadelphia
Source: Flickr Commons