To the Stereo Pairs collection today, and to a vast institution somewhere. These great building projects were intended to provide treatment and care for people in a region and have lasted for many years though few remain in their original use to this day. Where are we and is it still standing?
combine to tell us that this is longer standing. While it was standing (for 100 years between the 1820s and the 1920s), it was the "District Lunatic Asylum" on the Falls Road in Belfast. Originally built to designs by architects William Murray and Francis Johnston (the latter perhaps best known for his work on Dublin's GPO), it was demolished to make way for a new maternity hospital in the early 20th century....
Photographers: Frederick Holland Mares, James Simonton
Contributor: John Fortune Lawrence
Collection: Stereo Pairs Photograph Collection
Date: Catalogue range c.1860-1883
NLI Ref: STP_0435
You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons