Martha Wygant was a member of the Grandview Heights High School Class of 1918, which was composed of seven girls and six boys. When this class entered high school they numbered nineteen. Of this original number eight graduated in 1918. Two of the nineteen graduated the previous year; two graduated from other high schools; seven of the class dropped out before completing courses; one, Edward Barker, graduated but had enlisted one month prior to graduation and was training at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station; two of the class had extra work to finish before completing high school.
The first class to graduate from Grandview was in 1916. Prior to 1925, seniors from Upper Arlington were sent to Grandview or North High School for their last year, because Upper Arlington Schools did not offer a twelfth grade.
As the school year ended in 1918 the graduating seniors participated in the following activities: Class Day exercises; senior party and picnic; and Baccalaureate sermon, entitled “The Rewards of Diligence” at Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church by Pastor Reverend B. F. Jackson. The Commencement exercises were held May 15 with an invocation by the Reverend O. C. Weist and performances by the Glee Club and the school orchestra. A class address was given by The Honorable O. T. Corson, former State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Diplomas were presented by John H. Nau, president of the Board of Education. The benediction was given by the Reverend B. F. Jackson.
This image available online at the UA Archives >>
Read the related "Norwester" magazine article at the UA Archives >>
Date (yyyy-mm-dd): c. 1918-05
Original Dimensions: 1.9 cm x 2.8 cm
Format: Black and White Halftone Photograph
Source: Norwester, May 1918, page 8
Original Publisher: Upper Arlington Community (Ohio)
Location/s: Upper Arlington (USA, Ohio, Franklin County)
Repository: Upper Arlington Historical Society
Digital Publisher: UA Archives
- Upper Arlington Public Library
Credit: UA Archives - Upper Arlington Public Library (Repository: UA Historical Society)
Owner: UA Archives | Upper Arlington History
Source: Flickr Commons