This must have been a nice commission for Mr. Poole! A naval(?) officer and his bride with elegant uniforms in a beautiful "big house" setting. Were the children the produce of an earlier marriage or relatives of the bride or groom? Today there would be a chance that they could be the couple's own children, how times have changed....
With thanks in particular to sharon.corbet
, we have confirmation that the Loftus-Baylis wedding took place in August 1915, and that those pictured almost certainly include:
- the bride, Patricia Loftus (daughter of Maj. JB Loftus of Mount Loftus, Co Kilkenny)
- the groom, Cmdr. Horace Temple Taylor Bayliss (son of Mrs. Bayliss, of Bagnalstown, Co Carlow)
- a groomsman(?), Cmdr. FM Walton (or Lt-Cmdr. Pugh?)
- "little attendant" girls, Miss Inez Fowler, Miss Sally Dobbs,
- "little attendant" boys, Master Doral and Liam O'Brien
The dog remains unnamed - but is presumably a Loftus family dog. And (given that a dog was unlikey to have been brought along to a hotel or other "outside" venue), there's a suggestion the image was captured at the bride's family home of Mount Loftus, in County Kilkenny....
Photographer: A. H. Poole
Collection: Poole Photographic Studio, Waterford
Date: Catalogue range c.1901-1954. Almost certainly 15 August 1935
NLI Ref: POOLEWP 4108
You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons