(Buy exclusive historic East Yorkshire prints from East Riding Photos
This photograph shows a young lad with horses and cart stood outside the entrance to the Beverley Gas Works circa 1910.
In 1824, a resolution was passed that the only practical solution for improving the standard of street lighting, was the introduction of a new light – Gas Lighting.
Gas Light was introduced later that year in Beverley by an engineer/entrepreneur called John Malam who decided to build a gasworks, negotiating a contract for the lighting of 150 street lamps with the Commissioners. The imposing gateway to the gasworks, as seen in the image, was built in close proximity to Beverley Beck. The gateway still remains today, but has been reincorporated into new housing premises called Mill View Court.
(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map
for more historic images?
(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives
' when reusing.
Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: East Riding Archives
Source: Flickr Commons