(Buy exclusive historic East Yorkshire prints from East Riding Photos
Potter Hill, Beckside junction, Beverley circa 1950s
Potter Hill, known at one time as Cockpit Hill, was also part of ‘Londonderry’ - an old name for that part of the Beckside area of Beverley. Its name could have derived from a pot market which was held there in the 1800s.
The chimney visible in the background on the left hand side, belonged to Barker’s Mill.
Barker, Son and Company was founded in 1896. After the First World War it was amalgamated with HF Lee Smith of Hull. In 1921, Barkers and Lee Smith became an incorporated company, operating from Barkers Mill in Beverley.
The Barkers and Lee Smith premises at Beckside transferred from seed crushing to the production of animal feeds in 1952, and was the last malting in the town.
Note the road sign, only one way to go back then, ‘Keep Left’.
(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map
for more historic images?
(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives
' when reusing.
Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: East Riding Archives
Source: Flickr Commons