(Buy exclusive historic East Yorkshire prints from East Riding Photos
The former East Riding Lunatic Asylum opened in Walkington in 1871 with 100 patients transferred from the North Riding Asylum at York. Standing in its own grounds close to the road from Beverley to Walkington, it boasted magnificent views of the surrounding countryside, which could be seen from the hospital windows. In 1949 it was renamed Broadgate Mental Hospital.
During its lifetime, it underwent many changes and at one time it was known as one of the most progressive hospitals of its kind. ‘Broadgates’ closed in 1989 and was later demolished to make way for a new housing development
(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map
for more historic images?
(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives
' when reusing.
Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: East Riding Archives
Source: Flickr Commons