(Buy exclusive historic East Yorkshire prints from East Riding Photos
The Bluecoat School, Highgate, circa 1885.
It was founded around 1693 by Sir Michael Warton, Member of Parliament for Beverley and one of the school’s benefactors. It was also known as the Charity School. In 1808, it moved premises from Flemingate to Highgate.
The Reverend Joseph Coltman, Head Curate of Beverley Minster, became involved with the school and later was publicly recognised for his services to the institution in 1810, when he was granted the freedom of the borough.
Lessons began at 7am and continued with breaks up to 7pm. Subjects included religion, book-keeping, geography, short-hand , history and gardening. There were usually eight boarders and in 1870, ten fee-paying day boys and two girls receiving commercial tuition. The school was closed in 1890 and its endowments used for the re-founding of the Grammar School.
The shop on the corner was Holey’s East Riding of Yorkshire Botanical and Eclectic Drug Stores offering a wide range of tinctures, barks and extracts. The sign advertises Gresham’s Insurance Ltd.
(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map
for more historic images?
(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives
' when reusing.
Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: East Riding Archives
Source: Flickr Commons