(Buy exclusive historic East Yorkshire prints from East Riding Photos
Beverley Bank, North Bar Within, 1861
A bank was established in Beverley in 1790 by Sir Christopher Sykes and his partners. It was later called the East Riding Bank. The commercial vitality of the town at that time was shown by the opening of two more banks, Appleton, Machell & Smith’s, known as the ‘Beverley Bank’ in 1793 and Harland & Tukes, possibly by 1790 and certainly by 1797.
The building was demolished in 1861 and the present Barclays Bank built on the same site. The man in the top hat near the door may be the manager at that time, Mr. Thomas Forge.
Taken during the earliest years of photography; this amazing image is one of the oldest in our archive.
(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map
for more historic images?
(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives
' when reusing.
Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: East Riding Archives
Source: Flickr Commons