(Buy exclusive prints of this image from East Riding Photos
The only remaining town gate in Beverley is The North Bar. This photograph taken from North Bar Within shows the gates closed and is dated approximately c.1900.
It was also the first to be mentioned in the town’s records in the late 12th century. The North Bar, Keldgate and Newbegin Bars were the only substantial ones to be built in brick or stone, although other streets had some kind of timber barrier across them. The Bar itself was rebuilt in 1409
Buses used to drive through the arched Beverley Bar. Their roof outlines had to be altered in order to fit under. The service eventually stopped using the route when the road layout in Beverley changed allowing buses to enter and leave the town other than via the Bar.
(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map
for more historic images?
(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives
' when reusing.
Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: East Riding Archives
Source: Flickr Commons