(Buy exclusive historic East Yorkshire prints from East Riding Photos
This photograph shows a leisurely time, perhaps on a Sunday morning, people talking in the street, a pram outside one of the houses and a lady with a pony and trap passing by.
The present day Queensgate running from Keldgate to Victoria Road was formerly known by various names of Humbergate, Humber Street, Chapel Lane, St. Thomas Chapel Lane and Cottingham Road.
Queensgate was, however, used as early as 1628 with reference to the continuation of the road in Beverley Parks as far as the boundary now Victoria Road.
It is now split into two parts, one running from its junction with Keldgate up to the roundabout leading to Lincoln Way and the second section leading to the Grammar School and Cemetery.
Maps and documents of the 19th century frequently show 'Queensgate Road'.
(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map
for more historic images?
(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives
' when reusing.
Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: East Riding Archives
Source: Flickr Commons