Highgate looking towards Beverley Minster. c.1880 (archive ref PH-5-1)

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by When

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: England, East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: Unknown

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
(Buy exclusive prints of this image from East Riding Photos)

Originally known as Londoners’ Street, Highgate was once very popular with Merchants from London who regularly attended the fairs as far back as 1417.
Note in the distance on the left hand side of the photograph is a water pump. In 1881, there were about 40 public pumps in use, they eventually became obsolete when the local Waterworks began operations. On the same side there is the George and Dragon Public House, which is now known as the Monks Walk.

(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map for more historic images?
www.flickr.com/photos/erarchives/map )

(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives ' when reusing.

Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email [email protected]

Info:

Owner: East Riding Archives
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 3847
beverley east riding yorkshire towns archives historic photo public house minster architecture gothic street buildings 1800s 19th century

Add Tags