To Portumna beside the Shannon and to a ruin before the desolation of the War of Independence and the Civil War.
This once fine old building appears as an empty shell in this Lawrence/French shot ... however today's commenters and investigators report that the building looks much better now, having been restored
since this image was captured.
Amongst the interesting nuggets of location, history and excavation information provided by sharon.corbet
and Niall McAuley
is confirmation that there were two great houses in the Portumna Demesne - one of which was destroyed in the 1920s, but the other was damaged by fire in the 1820s (during renovation work to an earlier 17th century fortified house). It is the latter that we see here - a building that wasn't fully restored until the 1980s. John Spooner
also highlights a very unexpected connection with our recent eviction series - that a battering-ram used in some evictions had been made from a tree from Portumna lands. Thanks also to beachcomberaustralia
for linking us to the interesting aerial/drone footage. Lots to digest today - Thanks all!
Photographer: Robert French
Collection: Lawrence Photograph Collection
Date: Between 1865 - 1914
NLI Ref: L_ROY_05647
You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons