From an obelisk to a column, from Drogheda to Parsonstown, from the Orange Order to
Originally we thought perhaps that the statue adorning this column in Birr (previously called Parsonstown) was that of the Liberator, Daniel O'Connell. However, the community has confirmed that it was a statue (now gone) of "Butcher" Cumberland, Prince William Augustus
. From Pigot's 1824 Directory:
In the middle of the town is a stone column of the Doric order, with a shaft about 25 feet high, and surmounted with a pedestrian statue of the Duke of Cumberland in a Roman habit, cast in lead, and painted of a stone colour; it was erected in 1747
There's a fairly comprehensive report on the history, development and preservation of the column
on the Offaly Council site.
Thanks to everyone for today's contributions - especially O Mac
for quickly providing confirmation of location, subject and some local context...
Photographer: Robert French
Collection: Lawrence Photograph Collection
NLI Ref: L_ROY_01805
You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons