Today we have two for the price of one in the Stereo Pairs collection. An ornate church with an even more ornate fountain before! Identified as Lisburn's Seymour Street Methodist Church, we suspected the fountain was long gone - but to where?
Thanks in particular to sharon.corbet
for finding out more about the fountain - it was evidently one of many so-called "Wallace Fountains" (Wikipedia)
. Unfortunately the guys have confirmed that this example was likely dismantled for its metal during the Great War - it certainly seems absent from the 1920s photos which Sharon shares. Based on confirmation that the church and fountain both date to the mid-1870s, our intrepid duo also refined the catalogue date range to between 1875 and 1880.
Photographers: Frederick Holland Mares, James Simonton
Contributor: John Fortune Lawrence
Collection: The Stereo Pairs Photograph Collection
Date: ca. 1860-1883 (but likely 1875-1880)
NLI Ref: STP_2290
You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons