Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.
Located at the southernmost point of Tamborine Mountain this once was a very popular lookout area including a viewing tower to give early settlers advance warnings of approaching bush fires. With the tower long gone and trees obstructing the views, this small park is now a quiet picnic area, offering a variety of facilities.
In 1884 David Lahey and his brother constructed a sawmill in Canungra. To ensure supplies of logs land was taken up in the Canungra and Coomera valleys and on the south end of Mount Tambourine.
David gifted for public Reserve a hardwood three-story lookout tower supported by three live trees and one pole. Unfortunately. in about 1950 the trees were damaged by fire and the lookout was dismantled.
The Beaudesert Shire Council in 1960 erected a replacement steel viewing tower where the radio tower now stands. This was later also removed when corrosion made it unsafe. Due to the growth of trees in the area the tower has not been replaced.