These 2,580,021 images need to be put on the map. Can you help pin their Where?

Stephen Fitzgibbon, arrested for a series of thefts
Description: Name: Stephen Fitzgibbon Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 15 November 1907 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-115-Stephen Fitzgibbon An image is available of his accomplice Thomas Pearson www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/25158947272/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 16 November 1907 reports: “THEFTS FROM OFFICE ON THE NORTH SHIELDS FISH QUAY. At the North Shields Police Court this morning - before Lieut.-Colonel F.R.N. Haswell, Coun. G. Addison and Mr G.H. Stansfield - Stephen Fitzgibbon (17) of 15 Bird Street; Thomas Pearson (16) and Charles Pearson (19), also of Bird Street, were brought up in custody charged with various thefts. Fitzgibbon and Thomas Pearson were charged with larceny from back yards, being called upon to answer three cases, while Fitzgibbon and Charles Pearson were charged with three thefts from offices on the North Shields Fish Quay. Evidence having been given in support of all the cases, the defendants were formally charged. They admitted the thefts and had no excuse to offer. Chief Constable Huish told the magistrates that other charges could have been preferred against the accused. Altogether there had been eleven offices broken into on the quay. They were each committed to prison for 14 days in each case, which means Fitzgibbon will receive three months’ hard labour and the two Pearsons 6 weeks each. Chief Constable Huish mentioned that the elder Pearson was in the habit of carrying about with him loaded firearms. A six-chambered revolver had been recovered from his house.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). This set contains mugshots of boys and girls under the age of 21. This reflects the fact that until 1970 that was the legal age of majority in the UK. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6830
Tags: boy portrait blur hat youth interesting child unitedkingdom mark coat
1907

Binishell, Ashbury Primary School
Description: Binishell, Ashbury Primary School, Ashfield, NSW, 21/10/77, Government Printing Office Series - Public Works. Colour transparency. GPO 3 - 37439 Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 6718
Tags: schools statelibraryofnsw governmentarchitectsoffice binishells
1977

Aerial view of the River Wear
Description: Aerial view of ‘Naess Crusader’ at Manor Quay, Sunderland as a ship is towed past, 4 March 1973 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/61267B). The image also shows her sister ship 'Nordic Chieftain' under construction at the North Sands shipyard. The vessel under tow has been identified as 'Fidias' (launched at the Deptford yard, Sunderland on 18 December 1972) by Anthony Renton of Sunderland Tugs and Shipbuilding in pictures. For a different view of this scene see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/24965003922/in/album-72157.... These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6855
Tags: industry interesting construction industrial ship aerialview vessel historic riverwear cranes
1973

Deck view of 'Naess Crusader' at the fitting out quay
Description: Deck view of ‘Naess Crusader’ at Manor Quay, Sunderland, 29 January 1973 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/61109A). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6660
Tags: bridge roof chimney sky abstract industry window glass wall buildings
1973

Thomas Craigie, labourer, arrested for breaking into a house
Description: Name: Thomas Craigie Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 2 November 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-79-Thomas Craigie For an image of his accomplice Edwin Frankland see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/24815527135/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 9 November 1905 reports: “LENIENTLY DEALT WITH. Edwin F. Frankland (17), steamboatman, 41 Elsdon Street and Thomas Craigie (18), labourer, Bull Ring Stairs, were charged with being found on enclosed premises for an unlawful purpose on the 1st inst. Miss Sarah Hall, a general dealer, residing and carrying on business in the Bull Ring, deposed to locking up her premises at 11.15 pm on the 31st ult. and being awakened by her sister at six o’clock the following morning and finding that the house had been entered. Jane Hall, a sister of the prosecutrix, said that she awakened and saw Frankland standing in the door with a candle in his hand. She asked him what he wanted and he made no reply. Sergeant Hall said that he apprehended Frankland at his house in Elsdon Street. In reply to the charge he said “Craigie forced open the shutters, drew the bolt, went inside and I followed. I struck a match and someone shouted out.” He apprehended Craigie in his mother’s house and he made no reply to the charge. The magistrates took a lenient view of the case, although the defendants pleaded guilty and dismissed the charge against them.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). This set contains mugshots of boys and girls under the age of 21. This reflects the fact that until 1970 that was the legal age of majority in the UK. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8251
Tags: boy portrait blur eye face hat scarf mouth hair nose
1905

The bow of 'Naess Crusader' nears completion
Description: Work on the bow of 'Naess Crusader' nearing completion at the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland, 5 December 1972 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/60900C). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7785
Tags: industry interesting construction industrial ship vessel historic riverwear cranes bow
1972

Progress with the double bottoms of 'Naess Crusader'
Description: Progress with the double bottoms of 'Naess Crusader' at the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland, 19 May 1972 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/60008B). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6734
Tags: roof sky cloud industry wheel wall standing buildings interesting workers
1972

Whose blouse was not washed in OMO?
Description: This somewhat 'different' photograph from the Clonbrock collection is labelled fully as "Bicycle Gymkhana. Women's bicycle fun race. Competitors stopped to drink from cups. Women wearing white blouses and straw boater hats". It appears to show ladies with bicycles drinking/eating from cups likely as part of a fun race at a "Bicycle Gymkhana" day - perhaps at the Clonbrock estate. With lots of hats and early cycling fashions on display, we wondered if the community could help with extra context - and duly obliged. Thanks especially today to John Spooner and beachcomberaustralia for providing extra context on the popularity of these types of events in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. And how, while perhaps somewhat whimsical in themselves, marked a social trend towards independence in transport at the time.... Photographers: Dillon Family Contributors: Luke Gerald Dillon, Augusta Caroline Dillon Collection: Clonbrock Photographic Collection Date: Circa 1900 NLI Ref: CLON882 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 15052
Tags: fashion bicycle race cycling tressle funrace nationallibraryofireland dillonfamily firstwavefeminism lukegeralddillon
1900

Jewish Quarter, Jerusalem (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Jewish Quarter, Jerusalem [1918 Jan. and 1929 Aug.] (date created or published later by Bain) 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title and dates from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25934 Call Number: LC-B2- 4449-13
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 13508
Tags: street blackandwhite bw white news black building brick stone blackwhite
1918

Christmas message from the workers
Description: Christmas message from the workers of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields as they prepare to launch the cargo ship ‘Empire Curzon’, 24 December 1943 (TWAM ref. 1061/1053). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12067
Tags: christmas wood xmas abstract industry hat bar handwriting boot chalk
1943

Launch party of the cargo ship 'Empire Hazlitt'
Description: Members of the launch party of the cargo ship ‘Empire Hazlitt’, at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 14 May 1942 (TWAM ref. 1061/1043). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7949
Tags: roof shadow chimney sky people building men brick window glass
1942

Preparing the cargo ship 'Crofter' for launch
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Crofter’ being prepared for launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 16 August 1951 (TWAM ref. 1061/1086). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8500
Tags: sky abstract blur building industry window glass wall stairs interesting
1951

David Jones' models (?) Arrival of
Description: Call Number: Home and Away - 14066 Format: film photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 6263
Tags: statelibraryofnsw passengerships
1937

Labourers' Cottages
Description: Quite a bit different from the temporary "Labourer's Hut" we saw from Friday's shot, this Mason image is labelled simply "Labourers' Cottages". Do we think there's enough to go-on to determine where the shot was taken? Photographer: TH Mason Contributor: Thomas H. Mason & Sons photographers Collection: Mason Photographic Collection Date: c.1890-1910 NLI Ref: M57/31 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 13287
Tags: cottage land labour unknownlocation nationallibraryofireland associ labourerscottages masonsons masonphotographiccollection thomasholmesmason
1900

Stern view of the cargo ship 'Armanistan'
Description: Starboard stern view of the cargo ship ‘Armanistan’ at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, November 1948 (TWAM ref. 1061/1079). She was launched on 30 November 1948. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7022
Tags: door roof sky cloud abstract building london industry window glass
1948

The cargo ship 'Queenmoor' heading on sea trials
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Queenmoor’ on sea trials, 1924 (TWAM ref. 1061/998). She was launched at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields on 8 December 1923. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7121
Tags: sea water vessel shipping southshields rivertyne shipbuilding cargoship johnreadheadsonsltd queenmoor
1924

a1887028h
Description: H.3. A large erratic resting on gneiss Cape Denison area Call Number: ON 144 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4242
Tags: stereograph antarcticexpedition
1911

a1887038h
Description: H.29. Snow petrels mated at nest. Cape Denison Call Number: ON 144 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5215
Tags: stereograph antarcticexpedition taxonomy:binomial=pagodromanivea taxonomy:common=snowpetrel
1911

Launch of the cargo ship 'Kelmscott'
Description: Launch of the cargo ship ‘Kelmscott’ at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 7 May 1943 (TWAM ref. 1061/1049). Note the shipyard workers at the bottom left of the picture. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7595
Tags: wood sky blur reflection industry public hat metal workers construction
1943

a9600008h
Description: Stereographs taken during a tour of the Southern Goldfields, New South Wales and Victoria, May-June 1860 / attributed to Edward Wolstenholme Ward Call Number: PXB 598 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4971
Tags: stereograph goldrush earlyphotography
1860

James George Chase, munitions worker, arrested for obtaining money by false pretences
Description: Name: James G. Chase Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Arrested on: 22 January 1916 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-264-James G Chase The Shields Daily News for 28 January 1916 reports: “FALSE PRETENCES CASE AT NORTH SHIELDS. At North Shields today, James George Chase (23), a munition worker, residing at Lynn Villa, Billy Mill, was brought up on remand, charged with having unlawfully obtained by false pretences, from Joseph Emery, the sum of £20, with intent to cheat and defraud, between Dec. 13th and Jan. 17th. Joseph Emery stated in May last he became acquainted with the defendant. During the latter part of that month the defendant told him something about an estate in Australia, valued at £70,000. About the 17th December, witness received a letter, which was supposed to have come from a detective at Scotland Yard, and his wife received a wire for £10 to be sent to the defendant in London, and witness sent it. On the 10th inst. the defendant returned from London and handed witness a sealed envelope. He opened it and found it contained two documents. After reading them, defendant asked is he was satisfied and he said it seemed to be alright. On the 17th inst. the defendant asked for another £10 and witness gave it to him. On the 21st inst. witness communicated with the police and on the 22nd obtained a warrant for the defendant’s arrest. Det. Radcliffe stated that on the 22nd inst. he arrested the defendant in Saville Street, and brought him to the Central Police Station. He read the warrant over and defendant replied “I can’t say anything until I have seen Mr Emery”. Afterwards he said there was no truth in the statement regarding the fortune. When charged this morning he replied “I admit everything: I know I have done wrong”. Defendant pleaded guilty and had nothing to say. Mr Emery, recalled, said he had not believed half the defendant’s statements from the first. The defendant had said that a young man had to go with him to Australia as a bodyguard to bring the money back. The defendant was committed to prison for one month in the second division.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 19807
Tags: portrait england man money face shirt mark grain deception property
1916

[Shoeless Joe Jackson, posing as catcher, Chicago AL (baseball)] (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. [Shoeless Joe Jackson, posing as catcher, Chicago AL (baseball)] [1919] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Original data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards: Jackson. Corrected title and date based on research by the Pictorial History Committee, Society for American Baseball Research, 2006. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25393 Call Number: LC-B2- 4351-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3656
Tags: chicago al baseball jackson libraryofcongress whitesox catchersmitt mitt joejackson americanleague
1919

The cargo ship 'Min' on sea trials
Description: View of the cargo ship 'Min' on sea trials, 1922 (TWAM ref. 1061/997). She was launched at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons, South Shields on 25 May 1922. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8294
Tags: sea water marine smoke vessel maritime shipping southshields min shipbuilding
1922

Jane Agnes Duffy, arrested for theft
Description: Name: Jane A. V. Duffy Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 9 December 1914 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-250-Jane A V Duffy The Shields Daily News for 9 December 1914 reports: “A YOUNG WOMAN IN TROUBLE. Today at North Shields, Jane Agnes Duffy (19), 61 Westcott Road, South Shields, was charged with stealing a gold brooch, a gold ring, and a silk blouse value £1 12s 6d, the property of Barbara Cunningham, Trevor Terrace, on the 27th inst. The prosecutrix said that at 18.15 pm on the 26th ult. she was in Bedford Street, when the accused was brought to her and she asked if witness could give her board and lodgings. She stated that she had just got work at a drapers and would pay her 15s a week for board and lodgings. Witness took her home. Next morning the defendant got up at 9 o’clock, and while witness was cleaning the step the defendant ran out by the back, and witness missed the articles mentioned. Detective Sweeney of Wallsend said he arrested the accused on another charge on the 28th ult. and found the items mentioned in her possession. Detective-Sergt. Hall deposed to recovering the property from the last witness and receiving the accused into custody after she had been dealt with by the magistrates at Wallsend. The mother of the girl told the magistrates that her daughter had no reason to steal, having a good home and having been well brought up, but she was rather weak in mind and had given her some trouble. The clerk enquired why the magistrates at Wallsend had bound her over for 12 months under probation. Detective Sweeney said that the mother and the solicitor representing her promised to put her into a home. Mrs Duffy said that Father Turner had promised to look after her and put her into a home for feeble-minded at Carlisle and an arrangement was made that she would go into the Harton Workhouse in the meanwhile. The girl, however, objected to going to the workhouse and wanted to go home. The case was remanded for a day.” The Shields Daily News for 17 December 1914 reports: “SOUTH SHIELDS GIRL BOUND OVER. The remanded charge against Jane Agnes Duffy (19), Westcott Terrace, South Shields of stealing a gold brooch, a keeper ring and a blouse, valued in all at £1 12s 6d, the property of Barbara Cunningham, Trevor Terrace, North Shields, came up for hearing this morning. The case has several times been adjourned in order that a place should be found for the girl in a home. The Bench on one occasion expressed their opinion that they did not think she had been properly looked after at home. This morning, the Bench, after due consideration of the case and circumstances, decided to bind the girl over for twelve months in the mother’s surety of 40s, to be of good behaviour.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13996
Tags: shadow portrait eye face hat scarf mouth hair nose head
1914

Royal Flying Corps officers in front of a BE2b.
Description: Can anyone identify the plane? From the Robert McKenzie fonds, PR1991.0305/56.
Owner: Provincial Archives of Alberta
Views: 9937
Tags: airplane aircraft aviation wwi worldwarone greatwar firstworldwar biplane militaryaviation rfc
1916

Identified! [Vivian Leroy Crisler (1885-1953), an acoustics researcher at the National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., looking over a loud speaker horn used in sound penetration tests] (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013003254&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. [Vivian Leroy Crisler (1885-1953), an acoustics researcher at the National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., looking over a loud speaker horn used in sound penetration tests] [between 1923 and 1929] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller Notes: Title information from press notes/caption for a similar photograph and Flickr Commons Project, 2015. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.32696 Call Number: LC-H27- A-9443
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 17597
Tags: libraryofcongress acoustics physicists mysterysolved xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 nationalbureauofstandards usbureauofstandards acousticalresearch vlchrisler vivianleroychrisler
1923

Lawrence Armstrong alias Hanby, soldier, arrested for theft
Description: Name: Lawrence Armstrong alias Hanby Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 30 September 1915 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-262-Lawrence Armstrong AKA Hanby The Shields Daily News for 8 October 1915 reports: “A SOLDIER COMMITTED FOR THEFT. Today at North Shields, Laurence Armstrong (21) of the 1st Northumberland Fusiliers was charged with having stolen on Sept. 20th a box of cigarettes valued at 5s from the shop of Henry Nicholson, tobacconist, Saville Street. An assistant of the prosecutor’s said she was serving a customer on the above date, when accused entered the shop, picked up a box of cigarettes and went away. Defendant was further charged with having stolen a dress ring, valued at £1, the property of Valone Harrison, conductress of a tramcar on Sept. 14th. The prosecutrix said the accused boarded a car on which she was following her employment. He asked to look at her ring. She took it off her finger and showed it to him. Witness then went to collect some fares and while she was thus engaged the accused got off the car. Detective Mason said that when accused was arrested on the previous charge a pawn ticket relating to the ring was found in his possession. Accused pleaded guilty and said he was very sorry. He had been seven months at the front and had been gassed. He was committed to prison for 14 days on each charge”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 18881
Tags: portrait eye face hat shop emblem soldier army nose interesting
1915

Queen Victoria Buildings, looking down George St, n.d. / unknown photographer
Description: Call no.: Government Printing Office 1 - 16633 Format: glass negative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 3593
Tags: trams statelibraryofnewsouthwales
1920

Parade along George Street for Waratah spring festival, 13 October 1959 / unknown photographer
Description: Call no.: Government Printing Office 2 - 14323 Format: glass negative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4339
Tags: trams statelibraryofnewsouthwales
1959

Lt. Col. Taniwaka (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Lt. Col. Taniwaka [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25159 Call Number: LC-B2- 4309-12
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 9060
Tags: japan washington wwi libraryofcongress 1917 1918 militaryattache xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 tanikawa japanesemission
1915

Parotia lawesi, Lawes Bird of Paradise from John Gould’s the Birds of New Guinea and the adjacent Papuan islands, London, 1875-1888
Description: Call Number: RB /RF598.2984/4 Vol 1 Format: Colour plate in book Find more detailed information about this illustration: library.sl.nsw.gov.au/record=b2666391~S2 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx <a From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5989
Tags: papuanewguinea birdsofparadise johngould
1880

Work in progress on two Clark-Sulzer engines
Description: Work in progress on two Clark-Sulzer engines at the Southwick Engine Works of George Clark (Sunderland) Ltd, May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1361/323). In the foreground is the bedplate of an 8-cylinder engine for the refrigerated cargo vessel ‘America Star’ under construction by the shipyard of Bartram & Sons Ltd. In the background is a 6-cylinder Clark-Sulzer engine for the ‘Maurice Delmas’ also under construction by Bartram & Sons Ltd. Sunderland has a remarkable history of innovation in shipbuilding and marine engineering. From the development of turret ships in the 1890s and the production of Doxford opposed piston engines after the First World War through to the designs for Liberty ships in the 1940s and SD14s in the 1960s. Sunderland has much to be proud of. Tyne & Wear Archives cares for tens of thousands of photographs in its shipbuilding collections. Most of these focus on the ships – in particular their construction, launch and sea trials. This set looks to redress the balance and to celebrate the work of the men and women who have played such a vital part in the region’s history. The images show the human side of this great story, with many relating to the world famous shipbuilding and engineering firm William Doxford & Sons Ltd. The Archives has produced a short blog to accompany these images. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8527
Tags: shadow abstract industry metal wall shirt hair kneel landscape shoe
1963

Student Action for Aborigines protest outside Moree Town Hall and Council Chambers, February 1965 / The Tribune
Description: Can you help identify the people and places documented in this photograph? Call Number:ON 161/221 Format: Photograph 35 mm Find more detailed information about this photograph:http://www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemID=965299 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx For more information about Indigenous Services at the State Library of NSW: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/services/indigenous/index.html Protocols for Libraries and Archives. Further information on the ATSILIRN Protocols is available here: atsilirn.aiatsis.gov.au/protocols.php#_=_ From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5139
Tags: moree statelibraryofnsw freedomrides1965 studentactionforaborigines
1965

Physical Culture Class, 1934
Description: Bjelke-Petersen School, Sydney. Call Number: Home and Away - 4810 Creator: Sam Hood (1872-1953) Format: Photonegative Digital Order No. hood_04810 Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw/ From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 7824
Tags: hairstyles physicaleducation statelibraryofnsw
1934

Southwick Shipyard of Austin & Pickersgill Ltd
Description: Aerial view of the Southwick shipyard of Austin & Pickersgill, Sunderland looking down the River Wear, May 1965 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/36078A). This set of aerial images is intended as a short historical tour of the River Wear from the Piers to Pallion. It gives us an impression of what the River looked like during the middle years of the Twentieth Century, when it was a hive of industrial activity. Sunderland had an international reputation for shipbuilding and this is well represented in this set with images of its famous shipyards such as Austin & Pickersgill, J.L. Thompson & Sons and Sir James Laing & Sons. The River Wear was also home to a thriving marine engineering industry, reflected here by images of the engine works of William Doxford & Sons and George Clark. Other industries are also featured such as glassmaking and of course the key industry of coal mining. Mining is represented by images of Wearmouth Colliery and the riverside coal staithes, which were vital to the coal trade. These images reflect how much the River Wear has changed over the past 50 years, with the disappearance of traditional heavy industries. Those businesses may have gone but Sunderland can be proud of its industrial heritage and the men and women who worked on Wearside and helped to shape the City we know today. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8087
Tags: riverwear aerialphotography sunderland shipbuilding ships austinpickersgillltd southwick southwickshipyard queenalexandrabridge wearside
1965

Some of the men who took Tilloy (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Some of the men who took Tilloy [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.24760 Call Number: LC-B2- 4251-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 10611
Tags: blackandwhite france infantry liverpool photographer wwi british libraryofcongress xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain24760
1915

German 5.9 gun captured by British (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. German 5.9 gun captured by British [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.24754 Call Number: LC-B2- 4250-5
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 4195
Tags: photographer wwi brooke cannon artillery libraryofcongress howitzer battleofarras xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain24754
1915

Beatrice Allen, Hazel Dawn, Consuelo Bailey, Eleanor Dawn, Ann Pennington, Gertrude McCoy, Vera Maxwell (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Beatrice Allen, Hazel Dawn, Consuelo Bailey, Eleanor Dawn, Ann Pennington, Gertrude McCoy, Vera Maxwell [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.24734 Call Number: LC-B2- 4248-10
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3872
Tags: newyork fashion june longisland libraryofcongress speedway 1917 sheepsheadbay actorsfund xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11
1915

Nephile Bunnell (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Nephile Bunnell [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.24730 Call Number: LC-B2- 4248-5
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3669
Tags: newyork june longisland libraryofcongress speedway 1917 sheepsheadbay actorsfund xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain24730
1915

Shervick Tractors at the Elswick Works
Description: View of Shervick Tractors inside 136 Shop, Elswick Works, Newcastle upon Tyne, April 1948 (TWAM ref. 1027/269). These tractors were manufactured by Vickers after the Second World War, using Sherman tanks, which had become surplus to military requirements. ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 10784
Tags: door tractor men industry wheel metal wall shirt bar standing
1948

Robert Smith
Description: Name: Robert Smith Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 27 July 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-75-Robert Smith Images are also available of his accomplices James Curry www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/16091228094/in/album-72157... and John Curry www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/16091228264/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 28 July 1905 reports: “THEFT FROM SMITH’S DOCK. THREE NORTH SHIELDS MEN SENT TO PRISON. At North Shields Police Court today, Robert Smith (48), fireman, 9 Middle Street, Milburn Place; John Curry (39), 25 Front Street, and James Curry (35), 3 West Street, Milburn Place, marine store dealers, were charged on remand with having stolen from Messrs Smith’s Pontoon Dock, on the 25th inst., a quantity of brass valued at £4 17s 1d. John Craigie, foreman fitter with the prosecutors, said that on the morning of the 26th inst. he went into the engine room of the pontoon and missed a quantity of brass. In the afternoon of the same day he accompanied an officer to No.25 Front Street, Milburn Place, and there identified a portion of the stolen metal. James C. Smith, store keeper with Messrs Smith’s Dock Coy. Ltd, said that on the morning of the 26th inst. He missed a quantity of brass, and afterwards went to the Central Police Station. He was there shown a quantity of brass, which he identified as the property of Messrs Smith. The total weight of the metal was 116 lbs and the value was $4 17s 1d. Joseph Garrick, a rigger and stevedore, said that on the 25th inst, he saw Smith and James Curry go into the Aberllelyn Arms in Front Street, Milburn Place. At a late hour on the same night he saw Smith go over the wall of Messrs Smith’s premises, enter the engine room and afterwards leave with a bag of metal. He gave information to the police. PC Cuerton said that at 11.40pm on the 25th inst. he saw John Curry go into his house and at midnight he saw his brother leave the house and walk in the direction of his own. Detective Sergt. Scougal said that at noon on the 26th inst. he went to the house of John Curry with a search warrant and found underneath the bed a quantity of brass, which was identified as the property of Messrs Smith by the witness Craigie. He then proceeded to No. 9 Middle Street, where he saw Smith. He told him he was going to take him to the Bull Ring Police Station, whereupon his wife said: “What’s the matter, Bob?”. Accused replied: “There has been some brass stolen from Smith’s”. Witness charged him with having stolen the brass, and he replied: “I know nothing about it”. At five o’clock the same afternoon he met the two Currys in the Borough Road and told them he was going to take them to the Bull Ring Police Station. They both replied: “It is only a bit of spite because we would not do the same as him”. The following morning he charged the three of the prisoners with the theft. Smith replied: “I have nothing to say”. John Curry replied: “We got the best part of the brass from the saw mills, We only got two small pieces from Smith and gave him a couple of bob for them”. James in answer to the charge said they got most of the metal from the saw mills. Formally charged, the whole of the prisoners pleaded guilty. Mr G.R. Duncan, who represented the accused, said that Smith, who could produce discharges covering a period of twenty years, showing an excellent character, had been employed for some time as a fireman by the prosecuting firm. Unfortunately, having got some drink, he yielded to the temptation while working on the night shift, and in consequence had lost his situation. Both he and his wife were most distressed about it. The two Currys were licensed marine store dealers bearing good characters. The Chairman said the case was too serious to be dealt with under the First Offenders’ Act and the amount involved was too large to permit of a fine being imposed. The prisoners would each be committed for a month". These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 10044
Tags: hat criminal crime bowlerhat thief mugshot brass policestation arrested stealing
1905

Wartime medical equipment at the Elswick Works
Description: View of Dr Clarkson and a colleague, wearing wartime medical equipment at the Elswick Works, Newcastle upon Tyne, 25 November 1940 (TWAM ref. 1027/neg15299). Dr Clarkson is ‘armed’ with a wartime medical belt, holding a syringe and medical supplies. Healing was essential but smiling was optional! ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 15262
Tags: shadow portrait eye industry face wall shirt standing mouth hair
1940

Binishell, North Narrabeen Primary School
Description: Interior, Binishell Library, North Narrabeen Primary School, NSW, 10/9/75, the first binishell project erected for a NSW school: Government Printing Office Series - Public Works. Colour transparency. GPO 4 - 33754 Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 7805
Tags: schools statelibraryofnsw governmentarchitectsoffice binishells
1975

Binishell, Kur-Ring-Gai High School
Description: Binishell at Kur-Ring-Gai High School, NSW, now a Creative Arts High School, 23/6/77, Government Printing Office Series - Public Works. Colour transparency. GPO 3 - 37511 Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 9166
Tags: schools statelibraryofnsw governmentarchitectsoffice binishells
1977

Lucio Pelliza, Italian waiter, arrested for theft
Description: Name: Lucio Pelliza alias Frank Jackson Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 10 May 1906 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-87-Lucio Pelliza AKA Frank Jackson The Shields Daily News for 18 May 1906 reports: “ALLEGED LARCENY AT NORTH SHIELDS. ACCUSED COMMITTED FOR TRIAL. At North Shields Police Court today, Lucio Pelliza (23), described as a waiter, who was charged on Wednesday with having stolen, from a dwelling house in Sibthorpe Street, a gold necklace, a gold brooche, a silver watch, albert and medal and £4 5s. valued in all £11 10s, the property of Erimo Gianandrea, between the 6th and 7th inst., was again placed in the dock. The depositions, which were taken on Wednesday and reported at the time, were read over to the witnesses and signed by them, after which the accused, who had nothing to say, was formally committed for trial at the Assizes.” The Shields Daily News for 4 July 1906 reports: “The Midsummer Sessions for the County of Northumberland were held at the Moot Hall, Newcastle, this morning ... Lucio Pelliza, 23, waiter, pleaded guilty to having stolen £4 5s, a silver watch and other articles, the property of Erimo Gianandrea, at Tynemouth, between May 7 and 8 last. Prisoner promised that after he served his term of punishment he would go back to his own country and lead a better life. The Chairman said the prisoner had been three times convicted of similar offences. This time he would go to prison for 18 months with hard labour. A sovereign which had been found sewn in prisoner’s coat was ordered to be restored to the prosecutor.” This wasn’t his first time in gaol. The Dundee Evening Telegraph of 12 September 1905 reports: “DARING THEFT AT CUPAR. ITALIAN WAITER’S CRIME. Luci Pelliza, of no fixed residence, was charged ... at Cupar today with having, on 11th September, within the shop in Burnside, occupied by John and Peter Cura, restaurant-keepers, stolen from a lockfast till two bags containing £7 12s 4½d. He pleaded guilty. The Fiscal stated that the accused was left in charge of the shop for a short time and that as soon as his master was out he forced open the till, pocketed the contents and made off, leaving the shop to look after itself. The Sheriff having remarked on the seriousness of the offence, ordered the accused to go to prison for 60 days.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8998
Tags: portrait blur hat shirt interesting italian mark grain tie suit
1906

Matthew Armstrong, miner, arrested for stealing money
Description: Name: Matthew Armstrong Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 19 July 1906 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-91-Matthew Armstrong The Shields Daily News for 26 July 1906 reports: “LARCENY CASE AT NORTH SHIELDS. At the North Shields Police Court this morning, Matthew Armstrong (24), miner, 31 Roseberry Avenue, Preston, was committed to prison for one month, on a charge of stealing 5s from the till at the Fox Hunters Inn, the property of Adelaide Storey, on the 18th inst.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7462
Tags: portrait money blur eye face hat shirt mouth hair neck
1906

Presentation at the launch of 'Armanistan'
Description: A shipyard worker presenting flowers to the sponsor of the cargo ship ‘Armanistan’ at her launch from the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 30 November 1948 (TWAM ref. 1061/1079). The task was sometimes given to the oldest or youngest worker at the yard. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8846
Tags: flowers roof shadow sky abstract flower men industry window smile
1948

Identified! [Paragon adjustable and reversible aircraft propeller created by Spencer Heath and tested on October 11, 1922, Bolling Field, Washington, D.C.] (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013012531&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. [Paragon adjustable and reversible aircraft propeller created by Spencer Heath and tested on October 11, 1922, Bolling Field, Washington, D.C.] [1922 October 11] 1 negative : glass ; 4 x 5 in. or smaller Notes: Title and date information from Flickr Commons Project, 2015; and Aerial Age Weekly, Dec. 1922. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.42506 Call Number: LC-H234- A-4924
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 11567
Tags: aviation heath libraryofcongress propeller mysterysolved bollingafb xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 aircraftpropeller airplanepropeller variablepitchpropeller
1922

The tanker 'Spinanger' ready for launch
Description: View of the tanker ‘Spinanger’ ready for launch at the North Sands shipyard of J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland, 22 October 1957 (TWAM ref. DS.JLT/4/PH/1/694/2/2). The launch of 'Spinanger' was unusual in that it was carried out without the assistance of tugboats. This was due to industrial action by the Wear tugboatmen. This set celebrates the achievements of the famous Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company’s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was known as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its last wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding. By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For many years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth largest output of any shipyard in the world. The Depression affected the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels were launched from 1931 to 1934. However, during those years the company developed a hull design giving greater efficiency and economy in service. During the Second World War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was used by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards between 1942 and 1945. After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to build many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, although it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8249
Tags: abstract man reflection industry water glass hat metal standing river
1957