These 1,735,110 images need to be put on the map. Can you help pin their Where?

Potomac Park, Wash., D.C. (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Potomac Park, Wash., D.C. [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Subjects: Wash., D.C. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. For more information, see George Grantham Bain Collection - Rights and Restrictions Information www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/274_bain.html Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Bain News Service photograph collection (DLC) 2005682517 General information about the George Grantham Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.31447 Call Number: LC-B2- 5311-9
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 431
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain31447 aerialphotography aerialphotograph aerialphoto potomacriver potomac navalairstationanacostia nasanacostia anacostia
1915

Scholars captured by the dreaded attendance officer!
Description: The dreaded School Attendance (aka Truancy) Officer was the terror of all those who might be tempted to mitch from school in years gone by. In this interesting Mason image, titled in the catalogue as "'Mitchers', four young boys, different ages, with school attendance officer and bicycle", we see a clergyman who appears to have captured a handful of young scamps. They are undoubtedly from different social circumstances : two with bare feet, two with shoes/boots, all with headgear and the big fella with a smug smile! Did they all get six of the best? The general consensus is that this image (or perhaps just its title) could be at least partially "staged". The Irish Education Act 1892, for the first time, made it compulsory for children children aged between 6 and 14 to attend school. Captured within a decade or so of that act, it seems plausible this image was used to "illustrate" the change in approach. Certainly only one of the lads looks even slightly bothered at being "caught". And, unless the chap at the back is some kind of prefect or enforcer, he seems an unlikely type :) While we have not yet established a location for this image, [https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]] suggests that the successing Mason image [M56/8] was captured at the same place and time..... Photographer: Thomas H. Mason Collection: Mason Photographic Collection Date: Catalogue range c.1890-1910 NLI Ref: M56/7 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 63173
Tags: thomasholmesmason thomasmayne thomashmasonsonslimited lanternslides nationallibraryofireland truants mitchers truancyofficer schoolattendanceofficer clergyman
1910

Eleanor Hull, full-length portrait seated in chair, in a garden with a book and a cane
Description: I like days like this, the weather is improving and there is a hint of Spring in the air. I also like photographs like this one in that I have no knowledge whatsoever of the subject and I know that by the end of the day I will have learned everything there is to learn about her.... .... And indeed I have been enlightened. This is unequivocally Eleanor Hull (1860-1935), writer, scholar and journalist. Born in the UK, she studied Irish history, language and folklore in Dublin. She was a co-founder of the Irish Texts Society and a president of the Irish Literary Society. The general consensus is that this image was likely captured in London - where she spent her later years. Perhaps in the late 1920s or early 1930s.... Photographers: Various Collection: Irish Political Figures Photographic Collection Date: c.1900-1935 NLI Ref: NPA PERS27 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 5508
Tags: irishpoliticalfiguresphotographiccollection nationallibraryofireland politicalfigures ireland eleanorhenriettahull writer journalist eleanorhull bethoumyvision irishtextssociety
1930

Bridging the gap
Description: The original title on this Hogan-Wilson image is "Bridge blown up - Unidentified location" and I suspect that it will not be easily identified today? No posters, doubtful 'Streetview' availability and few other clues so we will probably be down to newspaper articles? It is a pity that the shot is not sharper as any clues that might be there are dulled! While the image seems to date from the middle of the War of Independence (1919-1921), our intrepid contributors highlight the lack of debris in the picture - suggesting the image was taken some time after its destruction. While this might help eliminate any acts of sabotage from later in the conflict, [https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]] tells us that there were many hundreds of such events on railway bridges alone. Making date an unlikely 'clue' to identify a location. The topography and make-up of the bridge however have suggested some possible leads..... Photographer: W. D. Hogan Collection: Hogan Wilson Collection Date: 1920 NLI Ref.: HOG173 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 9635
Tags: hoganwilsoncollection wdhogan nationallibraryofireland bridge demolished warofindependence ireland horseandcart river riverbed
1920

The Tyne Bridge nears completion
Description: View of the Tyne Bridge, 1 October 1928 (TWAM ref. 3730/15/24). The Tyne Bridge is one of the North East’s most iconic landmarks. These photographs were taken by James Bacon & Sons of Newcastle and document its construction from March 1927 to October 1928. They belonged to James Geddie, who was Chief Assistant Engineer on the construction of the Bridge with Dorman, Long & Co. Ltd. of Middlesbrough. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6066
Tags: tynebridge tyneside northeastengland bridges newcastleupontyne gateshead civilengineering blackandwhitephotograph girders construction
1928

Rice (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Rice [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.30624 Call Number: LC-B2- 5216-8
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 10887
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain30624 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 gladysrice
1915

Views of Whangaroa, New Zealand, ca. 1890-1910 by William Joseph Macpherson
Description: Call number: ON 588/Box 11 Digital ID: c071650003 Format: glass photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/Details/archive/110375558 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/home From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 3444
Tags: statelibraryofnewsouthwales
1900

Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. "Pussyfoot" Johnson [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.30320 Call Number: LC-B2- 5173-1
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 9040
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain30320 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 prohibition 1920
1915

Glass negatives of Sydney regions, including Clovelly, Coogee, and Manly, ca 1890-1910, by William Joseph Macpherson
Description: Call number: ON 588/Box 05 Digital ID: c071420017 Format: glass photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/Details/archive/110375586 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/home From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 3543
Tags: statelibraryofnewsouthwales
1900

Glass negatives including images of boating, beaches, motoring and houses in the Sydney region, ca 1890-1910, by William Joseph Macpherson
Description: Call number: ON 588/Box 02 Digital ID: c071150004 Format: glass photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/Details/archive/110375580 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 2470
Tags: statelibraryofnewsouthwales
1900

Horse drawn plough, Ring of Kerry
Description: Given the low response to yesterdays wonderful shot we may need to repost it later as we are obviously in the holiday season with our contributors away on leave? Today sees a rare visit to the Tilbrook collection and to the Ring of Kerry. In colour no less. This lovely image of a horse-drawn plough with the sun streaming down on the furrowed ground would lighten the heart and raise our hopes! It is appropriate in its own way as today the 2017 Dublin Horse Show begins - with all the excitement, activity and of course horses galore. I hope they have a great show! Photographer: Richard Tilbrook Collection: Tilbrook Photographic Collection Date: June 1963 NLI Ref: TIL738 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 11229
Tags: richardtilbrook tilbrookphotographiccollection nationallibraryofireland 1960’s horse horsedrawnplough furrowed furrow field traces
1963

View from the High Level Bridge
Description: View of the Tyne Bridge from the High Level Bridge, 6 March 1928 (TWAM ref. 3730/15/17). The Tyne Bridge is one of the North East’s most iconic landmarks. These photographs were taken by James Bacon & Sons of Newcastle and document its construction from March 1927 to October 1928. They belonged to James Geddie, who was Chief Assistant Engineer on the construction of the Bridge with Dorman, Long & Co. Ltd. of Middlesbrough. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6322
Tags: tynebridge tyneside northeastengland bridges newcastleupontyne gateshead quayside civilengineering blackandwhitephotograph girders
1928

Powell (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Powell [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.29664 Call Number: LC-B2- 5063-3
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 2890
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain29664 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11
1915

Mme. Clemenceau - Jacquemaire (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Mme. Clemenceau - Jacquemaire [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.29560 Call Number: LC-B2- 5048-12
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 9560
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain29560 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11
1915

Aerial view along the River Wear, 1965
Description: Aerial view along the River Wear, showing the North Sands shipyard in the foreground, June 1965 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/36311A). This set of images celebrates the 300th Anniversary of the establishment of the Port of Sunderland. The port authority was constituted in 1717 by Act of Parliament, which appointed the River Wear Commissioners to manage and improve the harbour and river. Since then the port has changed beyond recognition with the construction of piers, docks and quays and the dredging of the River Wear to make it wider and deeper. These developments were vital to the coal trade on which the region’s prosperity depended. The improvement of the river was also essential to the success of shipbuilding in Sunderland as well as allied industries such as marine engineering and ship repairing. These images are a reflection of Sunderland’s proud industrial history. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7522
Tags: portofsunderland sunderland riverwear wearmouthbridge industrial industry ships vessels quays shipyards
1965

Thomas Ashe, half-length portrait
Description: A fine Keogh portrait of the man who was probably, militarily at least, the most successful and least celebrated 1916 leader! One thing we can be sure of is that the outer end of the date range on this will be changed! With thanks to today's contributors, it seems that this portrait of Thomas Ashe (dating to c.1914-1917 and part of a series published by Keogh brothers about the 1916 leadership) was widely used. There are examples of buttons and memorial plaques based upon it in the comment thread. The image also appears on the entry for Ashe (and his burial) at the Glasnevin Trust website. This entry describes that he died in 1917, from pnumonia and other complications (arising from his treatment, including forible feeding, while imprisoned at Mountjoy).... Photographer: Brendan Keogh Collection: Keogh Photographic Collection Date: Catalogue range c.1914-1923. But certainly before 1917 (date of death). NLI Ref: KE 2 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 11770
Tags: brendankeogh thekeoghphotographiccollection keoghbrothersltd nationallibraryofireland thomasashe kerry battleofashbourne 1916 teacher poet
1915

Lamont (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Lamont [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.29407 Call Number: LC-B2- 5021-6
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 7292
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain29407 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 grafonola columbia phonograph
1915

Martin Bomber (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Martin Bomber [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.29149 Call Number: LC-B2- 4976-8
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 16670
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain29149 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 as62949 62949 cn8 p87 aviation aircraft airplane
1915

Homer (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Homer [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.29050 Call Number: LC-B2- 4958-7
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3720
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain29050 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 homerfamily homelandboltonlandingny boltonlandingny architecture newyork sidneyhomer louisehomer
1915

Francis & Martin Bomber (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Francis & Martin Bomber [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.29014 Call Number: LC-B2- 4952-14
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 2527
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain29014 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 aviation aircraft airplane biplane bomber militaryaviation glennlmartincompany
1915

Spectators and workers at the launch of the cargo ship 'Baskerville'
Description: Spectators and workers watching the launch of the cargo ship 'Baskerville' at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 31 May 1946 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/550/2). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7060
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd cargoship shipyard shiplaunches vessel rivertyne launch historic
1946

Sgt. Choike, AEF & G. Pionnier - Archangel [Sig. Corps #152751] (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Sgt. Choike, AEF & G. Pionnier - Archangel [Sig. Corps #152751] [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28802 Call Number: LC-B2- 4913-7
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3501
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28802 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 boxing signalcorps 152751
1915

Capt. R. Norris Williams, Capt. Watson M. Washburn (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Capt. R. Norris Williams, Capt. Watson M. Washburn [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28794 Call Number: LC-B2- 4912-9
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 8709
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28794 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 watsonmcleanwashburn watsonmwashburn watsonwashburn wmwashburn washburn tennis tennisplayer
1915

Blackett Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1960
Description: View along Blackett Street, Newcastle upon Tyne from near Grey's Monument, May 1960 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/24387C). Tyne & Wear Archives presents a series of images taken by the Newcastle-based photographers Turners Ltd. The firm had an excellent reputation and was regularly commissioned by local businesses to take photographs of their products and their premises. Turners also sometimes took aerial and street views on their own account and many of those images have survived, giving us a fascinating glimpse of life in the North East of England in the second half of the Twentieth Century. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8887
Tags: newcastleupontyne 1960s tyneside northeastengland blackettstreet shops historic interesting streetscene blackandwhitephotograph
1960

HUNTINGTON (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. HUNTINGTON [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28687 Call Number: LC-B2- 4898-8
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 2781
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28687 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 unitedstatesnavy usnavy usn navalaviation ship warship usswestvirginiaacr5
1915

Weemala, Ryde
Description: View this panorama in our panorama viewer: dxlab.sl.nsw.gov.au/pano-scope/view.php?p=32&fr=9999 Call number: a1949 Online Digital ID: a1949004 Format: Nitrate photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 6578
Tags: statelibraryofnewsouthwales panorama
1921

J.K. Caldwell (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. J.K. Caldwell [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28548 Call Number: LC-B2- 4883-9
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 6918
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28548 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 75027 75923 signalcorps russia
1915

Gen. Otani (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Gen. Otani [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28547 Call Number: LC-B2- 4883-8
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 9802
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28547 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11
1915

Visit of Prince Albert to Readhead's shipyard
Description: Visit of Prince Albert (the future King George VI) to Readhead's shipyard, South Shields, 16 April 1920 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/5/8/2). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6246
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd shipyard historic northeastengland tyneside princealbert kinggeorgevi royalfamily
1920

Visit of the Channel Fleet to Sunderland, 1895
Description: Laying a memorial stone on the South Pier, Sunderland to commemorate the visit of the Channel Fleet, 12 September 1895 (TWAM ref. 3768/8). This set of images celebrates the 300th Anniversary of the establishment of the Port of Sunderland. The port authority was constituted in 1717 by Act of Parliament, which appointed the River Wear Commissioners to manage and improve the harbour and river. Since then the port has changed beyond recognition with the construction of piers, docks and quays and the dredging of the River Wear to make it wider and deeper. These developments were vital to the coal trade on which the region’s prosperity depended. The improvement of the river was also essential to the success of shipbuilding in Sunderland as well as allied industries such as marine engineering and ship repairing. These images are a reflection of Sunderland’s proud industrial history. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 11065
Tags: portofsunderland sunderland riverwear channelfleet crane victorian hats ceremony pier harbour
1895

Preparing for the launch of two Wear hopper barges
Description: View of Wear Hopper 3 and Wear Hopper 4 being prepared for launch at the shipyard of John Crown & Sons Ltd, Sunderland, 5 October 1959 (TWAM ref. DS.CR/4/PH/1/246/2/1). These hopper barges played a vital role on the River Wear, taking dredged material out to sea. This set of images celebrates the 300th Anniversary of the establishment of the Port of Sunderland. The port authority was constituted in 1717 by Act of Parliament, which appointed the River Wear Commissioners to manage and improve the harbour and river. Since then the port has changed beyond recognition with the construction of piers, docks and quays and the dredging of the River Wear to make it wider and deeper. These developments were vital to the coal trade on which the region’s prosperity depended. The improvement of the river was also essential to the success of shipbuilding in Sunderland as well as allied industries such as marine engineering and ship repairing. These images are a reflection of Sunderland’s proud industrial history. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 10354
Tags: portofsunderland sunderland riverwear industrial industry wearhopper3 wearhopper4 hopperbarges vessels shipyards
1959