Hebrew school of the Jewish Community of Berlin
By the time the Nazis came to power approximately a third of the Jewish population of Germany could be found living in Berlin. Within the city a vibrant Jewish community could be found with numerous schools, clubs, synagogues, libraries, and communal organizations catering to the city’s Jews. The years after the First World War saw an impressive increase in the number of Jewish youths educated in Jewish schools – and between the years 1919 and 1927 five new Jewish elementary schools were opened in Berlin – part of this growth was to meet the growing demand brought by an influx of Eastern European immigrants, but it was also simply due to the growing Jewish population. While not clearly linked to a specific institution, this book stamp is an example of one of the many cultural institutions that existed in Berlin prior to the rise of the Nazis; though today Berlin is once again home to a robust Jewish Community.
This book stamp is from a book looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot.
There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society (Call number P-933) There is a finding aid for the collection here
The digitized scrapbooks are available here
For more information on this project check the Center’s blog: 16thstreet.tumblr.com/tagged/Offenbach-Depot
Dr. Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center is working on a similar project for the German book stamps based on NARA microfilm of the volumes the American Jewish Historical Society currently holds. See viewshare.org/views/mfraas/offenbach-bookplates/
The Center for Jewish History would like to acknowledge the following: The American Jewish Historical Society, who graciously allowed the use of their archival materials and digital content; Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center, for his data and technical assistance in this project; David Rosenberg, Senior Manager for Communications, and Melanie Meyers, Senior Reference Services Librarian for Special Collections, for managing and creating the digital map; as well as Reference Services Librarian Zachary Loeb and Reference Services Assistant Ilya Slavutskiy for their work on translating and mapping.
For copyright information, click here
Center for Jewish History, NYC