This view shows the south side of St Andrews, with the mouth of the River Eden in the distance, and ships anchored off the harbour. Inside the city walls the buildings dominating the town are, from right: the tower and ruins of St Andrews Cathedral; the tower of the Church of St Rule; the tower of St Salvator's College; and Holy Trinity Church, the town's parish church.
As well as a horseman with armed guard on the road, you can see in the foreground people at work and play. The scale of this image isn't quite accurate: compare the size of the figures on the path by the river to the sailing ship to the right of centre. On the left is what could be a walled farm building. There are scenes of fishing from boats, and evidence of fields that have been farmed.
In 1797 the fifth edition of Theatrum Scotiae was published, 80 years after Slezer's death. By then the Society of St Andrews Golfers had been founded (in 1754), the forerunner of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews.
Image from Theatrum Scotiae by John Slezer, 1693.
Owner: National Library of Scotland
Source: Flickr Commons