In 1919 Dr. George S. Hershey and his wife, the former Frances Perry, lived in this home at 1700 Arlington Avenue. Dr. Hershey was born in West Salem, Ohio and attended school in Westerville, Ohio. He was a graduate of the dentistry program at The Ohio State University, a respected member of the dental profession, and an avid golfer. He was active in the civic life of Upper Arlington and was a member of the Athletic Club, the Columbus Riding Club, the Columbus Automobile Club, and the Upper Arlington Chamber of Commerce.
Prior to its occupation by the Hershey family, 1700 Arlington Avenue was home to James Kennedy Dunlap and his wife, the former Nellie Hayes. Nellie was active in the Arlington Red Cross Unit, which was formed August 19, 1918. Ladies of Upper Arlington were encouraged to join, and the group assembled weekly to contribute to the war effort, sewing hospital clothes, pillow cases, and towels. Mr. Dunlap was one of the participating residents in the War Gardens, producing crops of potatoes, corn, and beans. J. K. Dunlap's mother-in-law, Mrs. Helen W. Hayes, also resided with the couple. The Dunlaps eventually moved to Dayton, Ohio, where Mr. Dunlap had accepted a position with a brokerage firm.
This image available online at the UA Archives >>
Read the related "Norwester" magazine article at the UA Archives >>
Date (yyyy-mm-dd): c. 1919-03
Format: Black and White Halftone Photograph
Source: Norwester, March 1919, page 23
Original Publisher: Upper Arlington Community (Ohio)
Location/s: Upper Arlington (USA, Ohio, Franklin County)
Repository: Upper Arlington Historical Society
Digital Publisher: Upper Arlington Public Library
, UA Archives
Credit: UA Archives - Upper Arlington Public Library (Repository: UA Historical Society)
Owner: UA Archives | Upper Arlington History
Source: Flickr Commons