This view shows the newly developed intersection of Upper Chelsea Road and West Devon Road. The homes at 1808 Upper Chelsea Road and 1816 Upper Chelsea Road are visible, and the back of 2071 Stanford Road can also be seen to the left behind these homes. Small trees have been planted and the characteristic ionic column lampposts are already in place. The lampposts were made of poured concrete topped with a white globe and were a source of pride in the early days of Upper Arlington.
This planned community was part of the garden city movement of the 1920s. Its goal was to blend architecture, landscape architecture, and urban planning. Key concepts included laying out streets to conform to the contours of the land, providing permanent open spaces, extensive landscaping, designing setbacks, and other architectural restrictions. The town was designed by landscape architect William Pitkin, Jr., in keeping with these principles.
This image available online at the UA Archives >>
Read the related "Norwester" magazine article at the UA Archives >>
Date (yyyy-mm-dd): c. 1919-02
Original Dimensions: 11.0 cm X 7.5 cm
Format: Black and White Halftone Photograph
Source: Norwester, February 1919, page 3
Original Publisher: Upper Arlington Community (Ohio)
Location/s: Upper Arlington (USA, Ohio, Franklin County)
Repository: Upper Arlington Historical Society
Digital Publisher: Upper Arlington Public Library
, UA Archives
Credit: UA Archives - Upper Arlington Public Library (Repository: UA Historical Society)
Owner: UA Archives | Upper Arlington History
Source: Flickr Commons