In September 1918, a tennis handicap tournament was held by the newly established Upper Arlington Tennis Club. Jack Hollar won the tournament, and the title of runner-up went to 14-year-old Frank Fenton. The tournament was played on the two new tennis courts built by the Upper Arlington Company in Miller Park. The courts were illuminated with tungsten lights for nighttime play. Shortly after these courts were completed, a club was organized to maintain the facility. Thirty interested men met on June 17, 1918, to discuss the long-term management of the courts. The Board of Directors consisted of Jay Crane, Jay Morgan, and John Fenton.
The village of Upper Arlington created a recreation department in 1921 and the tennis courts fell under the purview of the new director. Tennis was the center of youth and adult activity in Upper Arlington for many years. These two public courts were located in Miller Park, and additional courts were completed in the mid-1920s at what is now Jones Middle School with additional ones at Northam Park in 1957, followed by ones at Lane Road in 1971.
This image available online at the UA Archives >>
Read the related "Norwester" magazine article at the UA Archives >>
Date (yyyy-mm-dd): c. 1918-09
Original Dimensions: 12.5 cm x 6.5 cm
Format: Black and White Halftone Photograph
Source: Norwester, September 1918, page 15
Original Publisher: Upper Arlington Community (Ohio)
Location/s: Upper Arlington (USA, Ohio, Franklin County)
Repository: Upper Arlington Historical Society
Digital Publisher: Upper Arlington Public Library
, UA Archives
Credit: UA Archives - Upper Arlington Public Library (Repository: UA Historical Society)
Owner: UA Archives | Upper Arlington History
Source: Flickr Commons