This image from the June 1918 Norwester magazine shows Charlie Holt driving a horse drawn mower across Miller Park. Mr. Holt was a well-known figure in the Upper Arlington community who helped mow the parks and plow the streets. He would frequently give children rides on the mower pulled by his mule named Jenny. Children of the village were also fond of riding with him on the snow plow, which was described in the book History of Upper Arlington as having "a V-shaped platform and steel runners" and was also pulled by a horse. Charlie's son, Alfred Holt, was the village's first mailman.
The home of King Thompson, 1930 Cambridge Boulevard, can be seen in the background of this photograph. There were also several nearby large and prosperous farms in the Scioto River Valley before and during its development. One was the farm of James T. and Esther Everett Miller. Henry Miller, their son, studied agriculture at the nearby Ohio State University and used his knowledge to manage the farm. The Millers raised prize Guernsey cattle, hogs, sheep and poultry. In addition, they raised Percheron horses imported from France. Portions of the Miller Farm were sold in 1913 to the Thompson brothers (King and Ben) for the development of Upper Arlington. The Miller family also donated the land that was used for Miller Park.
This image available online at the UA Archives >>
View this image in the "Norwester" magazine at the UA Archives >>
Date (yyyy-mm-dd): c. 1918-06
Original Dimensions: 6.9 cm x 4.0 cm
Format: Black and White Halftone Photograph
Source: Norwester, June 1918, page 15
Original Publisher: Upper Arlington Community (Ohio)
Location/s: Upper Arlington (USA, Ohio, Franklin County)
Repository: Upper Arlington Historical Society
Digital Publisher: UA Archives
- Upper Arlington Public Library
Credit: UA Archives - Upper Arlington Public Library (Repository: UA Historical Society)
Owner: UA Archives | Upper Arlington History
Source: Flickr Commons