The Upper Arlington Company built the two tennis courts shown in this picture. They were illuminated with tungsten lights for nighttime play. Shortly after these courts were completed, a club was organized to maintain the facility. Thirty interested men met on June 17, 1918, to discuss the long-term management of the courts. The Board of Directors consisted of Jay Crane, Jay Morgan, and John Fenton.
The village of Upper Arlington created a recreation department in 1921 and the tennis courts fell under the purview of the new director. Tennis was the center of youth and adult activity in Upper Arlington for many years. These two public courts were located in Miller Park, and additional courts were completed in the mid-1920s at what is now Jones Middle School with additional ones at Northam Park in 1957, followed by ones at Lane Road in 1971.
This image available online at the UA Archives >>
View this image in the "Norwester" magazine at the UA Archives >>
Date (yyyy-mm-dd): c. 1918-06
Original Dimensions: 12.8 cm x 5.0 cm
Format: Black and White Halftone Photograph
Source: Norwester, June 1918, page 8
Original Publisher: Upper Arlington Community (Ohio)
Location/s: Upper Arlington (USA, Ohio, Franklin County)
Repository: Upper Arlington Historical Society
Digital Publisher: UA Archives
- Upper Arlington Public Library
Credit: UA Archives - Upper Arlington Public Library (Repository: UA Historical Society)
Owner: UA Archives | Upper Arlington History
Source: Flickr Commons