Mr. Paul Frye and his wife both came from Bucyrus, Ohio, and resided at 1945 Concord Road with their son, Williard Minette, born in 1917. Mr. Frye was employed by Columbus McElwain Company, shoe jobbers, and later served as manager of affairs of the Laboratory Supply Company. In April 1918 Mr. Frye's brother, Willard M. Frye, was residing with the Fryes. Willard Frye was a U.S. Naval enlistee who was in the fleet that transported Pershing's men across the Atlantic; he was promoted to Second Quartermaster for his distinguished service during WWI.
The residence at 1945 Concord Road was eventually inhabited by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Connor and, later, by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Cruickshank. Mr. Connor and his wife, Grace (Hunter) Connor came from Milford Center, Ohio, and North Lewisburg, Ohio, respectively. They had three children, Lawrence R., William H., and Thomas, Jr. Mr. Connor attended business college in Columbus, Ohio, and later entered the oil industry. Mr. Cruickshank came from Syracuse, New York, and attended the University of Maine. After working for several years in an orchard on the Pacific Coast, Cruickshank moved to Ohio to take a position with the Department of Horticulture at The Ohio State University. Cruickshank's plant expertise was highlighted in the March 1920 issue of the Norwester magazine, which featured an article he wrote on shrub pruning, transplanting, and fertilizing. Mr. Cruickshank and his wife, Marion (Coburn) Cruickshank had three children: Mary, Robert, Jr., and Jean Margaret.
This image available online at the UA Archives >>
Read the related "Norwester" magazine article at the UA Archives >>
Date (yyyy-mm-dd): c. 1918-04
Original Dimensions: 12.8 cm x 7.9 cm
Format: Black and White Halftone Photograph
Source: Norwester, April 1918, page 18
Original Publisher: Upper Arlington Community (Ohio)
Location/s: Upper Arlington (USA, Ohio, Franklin County)
Repository: Upper Arlington Historical Society
Digital Publisher: UA Archives
- Upper Arlington Public Library
Credit: UA Archives - Upper Arlington Public Library (Repository: UA Historical Society)
Owner: UA Archives | Upper Arlington History
Source: Flickr Commons