Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.
Lower right is the water-filled quarry pit that gave Katoomba its first name of Crushers, for the crushed stone ballast used on the railroad, the pit later became known as the Pond.
Facing the Bathurst Rd across from the Pond is Biles' Railway Hotel, the oldest licensed premises surviving in the township. The original sandstone building, quarried from the Crushers adjacent, was erected around 1880 and first licensed in 1881 to George W. Biles, the manager of the refreshment room at Mount Victoria railway station.
The railway station and locomotive turntable are clearly shown with a loco arriving/leaving. Left of the station is the Carrington Hotel (1882-3) and left again the larger building is Froma, the first substantial home in Katoomba, built by James Henry Neale c. 1867. It was demolished in 1913 to make way for the public school and the site is now occupied by the Cultural Centre and Katoomba Library.
The partially wooded gully in the centre foreground, with the nicely fenced and hedged garden, was to become Kingsford Smith Memorial Park in 1932.
Over a century later and camera platform technology has finally caught up with Vaniman - a similar view could now be captured from a drone, although not so exciting for the photographer.
Looks like 240x80 pixels so should fit the Oz 3:1 group.