West Street, Keene, NH
Keynart Co., Keene NH
Streets - NH - Keene
Elms - NH - Keene
Utility poles - NH - Keene
Postcard of the Cooke Elm on West Street, located in Keene New Hampshire. First called Piety Lane and then Pleasant Street, it was also known at one time as Mill Street, probably due to the extensive area covered by Faulkner & Colony Mfg. Co. Laid out about 1740, this early route left Main Street and then turned northwesterly across house lots now on the south side of West Street and entered the present West at the corner of School Street. It passed "Maccany Plain", on which West Keene is built, in its course over West Hill to Chesterfield.
For many years, the "Cooke Elm" was allowed to stand in front of the Noah Cooke house and the road separated and passed on each side of the huge elm until it was eventually removed. The Keene Electric Railway had a car line over this street to West Keene. Until the bypass was completed in 1966, West Street received some of the heaviest traffic through Keene.
Keene Public Library
No known restriction on publication.
Owner: Keene and Cheshire County (NH) Historical Photos
Source: Flickr Commons