Rabbi Baruch Kunstadt was born in Pressburg (Bratislava, Slovakia) in 1884 and as a young man he studied in that city’s yeshiva – he was the grandson of Rabbi Lippman Kunstadt. From 1907 to 1939 he was the Av-Beit-Din, Rabbinat’s assessor, in the German city of Fulda, but in 1939 he moved to Jerusalem where, along with Rabbi Yechiel Michel Schlesinger, he helped found the Yeshiva Kol Torah which was the first Charedi Yeshiva to teach in Hebrew as opposed to Yiddish. Rabbi Kunstadt died in Israel in 1967. Though Rabbi Kunstadt escaped Germany with his life, the presence of his bookstamp amongst the books recovered from the Nazis is a testament to the life he was forced to leave behind. Today the Yeshiva Kol Torah remains a prominent institution renowned for its high teaching standards – and Rabbi Kunstadt is still revered as one of the Yeshiva’s founders.
This book stamp is from a book looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot.
There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society (Call number P-933) There is a finding aid for the collection here
The digitized scrapbooks are available here
For more information on this project check the Center’s blog: 16thstreet.tumblr.com/tagged/Offenbach-Depot
Dr. Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center is working on a similar project for the German book stamps based on NARA microfilm of the volumes the American Jewish Historical Society currently holds. See viewshare.org/views/mfraas/offenbach-bookplates/
The Center for Jewish History would like to acknowledge the following: The American Jewish Historical Society, who graciously allowed the use of their archival materials and digital content; Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center, for his data and technical assistance in this project; David Rosenberg, Senior Manager for Communications, and Melanie Meyers, Senior Reference Services Librarian for Special Collections, for managing and creating the digital map; as well as Reference Services Librarian Zachary Loeb and Reference Services Assistant Ilya Slavutskiy for their work on translating and mapping.
For copyright information, click here
Owner: Center for Jewish History, NYC
Source: Flickr Commons