Following the image of Sean MacDiarmada yesterday we continue with another image from 1916. The Hibernian Bank facade on the corner of Abbey St. and O'Connell street stands in the midst of the destruction wrought during the Rising! Few of us imagined the centre of Dublin to have been so badly destroyed and would associate that level of devastation with WW2 images of Coventry, London, Berlin, Dresden or Hamburg.
This is 12-13 Lower O’Connell Street, Dublin and from Archiseek we get the following - 1872 Shops & dwellings, for J.G. Mooney. Constructed in Dalkey granite & Portland stone, it was converted into a branch of the Hibernian Bank in 1878, and destroyed in the Easter Rising of 1916.
Public Armed Ship Muirchú was a ship in the Irish Naval Service. She was the former Royal Navy ship HMY Helga and was involved in shelling Liberty Hall in Dublin from the River Liffey with her pair of 12-pounder naval guns during the Easter Rising of 1916.
Helga was purchased by the Irish Free State in 1923 and renamed Muirchú (Irish: Hound of the Sea).
She sank off the Wexford coast after disposal in 1947.
Thanks to beachcomberaustralia O Mac Niall McAuley
for the details, and with some content from Wikipedia
Photographer: Brendan Keogh
Collection: Keogh Photographic Collection
Date: Between Mon 24th April and 17th May 1916
NLI Ref: KE 118
You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons