Group, Children of Mary. : commissioned by Rev. Mother, Convent of Holy Faith, Mullinavat.
Today we will see the living rather than the dead, this fine group of young ladies in their regalia from the Poole Collection!
"These Children of Mary Sodalities first embraced the pupils and orphans of the schools and institutions of the Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul.....The badge adopted by the Children of Mary Immaculate is the miraculous medal, suspended from a blue ribbon.
The Children of Mary organization flourished in the mid 20th century. Young women went through a period of aspirancy of six months prior to acceptance as a fully fledged child of Mary, who had the right to wear the distinctive blue cape and carry the blue cape of a Child of Mary. When a Child of Mary married, she was embraced on arrival on the Church steps by other Children of Mary who removed the blue cape from over her wedding gown."
Photographer: A. H. Poole
Collection: Poole Photographic Studio
Date: Circa 13th June 1915
NLI Ref: POOLEWP 2613a
You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons